Subject: (Congresswoman) Cammermeyer needs your help!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:21:49 EST

[dear friends,
when i was organizing a candlelight memorial on behalf murdered gay sailor
allen schindler during the january 93 inaugural events, many gay folks were
relunctant to help me. either because of my politics or because of where
schindler was murdered--a bathroom. some gay leaders were uncomfortable about
the schindler murder at that point in time and feared schindler might have
been in that bathroom in sasebo, japan cruising for gay sex.
when i called cammermeyer at home to ask her to speak at the vigil, she
quickly said yes and simply wanted to know where to be and at what time. i was
impressed she agreed to speak and admired her willingness to help bring
justice to bear on behalf of a gay sailor, despite my nasty boy reputation.
when i needed funds to travel to japan for the court martial of schindler's
killer, cammermeyer wrote a check. well, now i am returning the favor. i have
written out a check for cammermeyer's congressional campaign. for ten bucks.
if i can help this lesbian leader get to washington, then i will. i have
>never< made a donation to any political candidate and i think most gay
leaders lack integrity. however, when the name is cammermeyer, all i see is
commanding leadership and honesty. values we need in congress.
please read the following post from carl goodman, which contains the
cammermeyer campaign's address, and send this gay gal a donation. don't wait.
and if you need a more mainstream endorsement of cammermeyer than i can offer,
go rent the video, serving in silence. thanks.--mp
-----------------
Forwarded Message: 
Subj:	 Grethe Cammermeyer for Congress
Date:	98-02-11 16:40:32 EST
From:	[email-masked]
To:	[email-masked]

     Grethe Cammermeyer, whose celebrated case against the U.S. military's 
     anti-lesbian policies was profiled in a made-for-TV movie starring 
     Glenn Close, is now running for Congress in her home district of 
     rural, northwest Washington state.
     
     She is one of my heros and I heartily encourage your support of her 
     campaign.  Her opponent, a Neanderthal Republican first elected in a 
     squeaker in 1994 and re-elected by just a few votes in 1996, is 
     certainly vulnerable.  Grethe has token primary opposition -- 
     Washington state's primary is in Sept. 1998; the general election 
     follows on Nov. 3, 1998.  So she's running full-steam against the 
     incumbent.  Grethe is budgeting a $1.5-million campaign.
     
     Please can you help support the election of an ethical, articulate and 
     proud lesbian to Congress.  Should she be elected, I believe she would 
     be quite an effective advocate for extremely important gay and AIDS 
     issues.
     
     Contributions may be sent to:
     
          Grethe Cammermeyer for Congress
          (make checks payable to "Cammermeyer 2 Congress" or "C2C") 
          P.O. Box 577
          Langley, WA  98260
          tel. 360-221-7172

     Grethe underscores that early contributions to her campaign will have 
     the most value in allowing her to design an effective media campaign.
     
     Please also re-send this message to as many of your Internet contacts 
     as possible.
     
     Details from Grethe's campaign regarding Federal campaign 
     contributions follow:  "Corporate contributions are not permitted.  
     Federal law requires disclosure of name, address, occupation and 
     employer for each individual whose contribution aggregate exceeds $200 
     in a calendar year.  (So, please provide this info if your donation 
     warrants.)  Under Federal election law, individuals may contribute up 
     to $2,000 ($1,000 Primary, $1,000 General).  Federal contributions are 
     not tax deductible."
     
     Regards.
     
     -- Carl