Subject: Fwd: Washington State: MAKE A FREE CALL FOR YOUR FREEDOM
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 17:14:22 -0500 (EST)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	[email-masked] (John Wilkinson)
Reply-to:	[email-masked]
To:	[email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: 97-02-05 16:10:57 EST

URGENT--PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY

** ACTION ALERT from the Legal Marriage Alliance of Washington **

TAKE A FEW SECONDS 
TO FIGHT FOR OUR COMMUNITIES
AND OUR FAMILIES

Both the Washington state senate and house held hearings on
Tuesday, February 4 on bills to BAN SAME-SEX MARRIAGE in Washington
State. DON'T LET THESE BILLS PASS EASILY.

CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS and the Governor NOW --
1-800-562-6000 (no charge) -- and let them know that YOU CARE whether
they vote for freedom and equality. Let them know that there are people
in the state and their districts whose families are full, productive
parts of their communities, but who are denied full participation.

** HERE'S HOW --

You'll need to call TWICE. The first call is critical, but the second
call has double impact, because you can express your support for
EQUALITY IN EMPLOYMENT at the same time.

FIRST:

CALL 1-800-562-6000 and tell the operator that you are:

--AGAINST HB 1130, SB 5398, and 5400; tell the operator they should copy
the information to the governor. You can leave a message, but you don't
have to.

SECOND:

Call (1-800-562-6000, remember). Tell the operator that you are: 

--FOR HB 1203 and SB 5346 and FOR HB 1044 [the employment
non-discrimination bill, WENDA] ; remind the operator to copy the
governor.

That's it!

Here's some simportant background:

There are two bills giving us marriage equality (HB 1203 in the house
and 5346 in the senate) and three against our freedom (HB 1130 and SB
5398, with SB 5400 requiring an election vote on our equality).

Legal Marriage Alliance and Hands Off Washington arranged testimony and
community presence at the hearings on these bills. We lobbied
legislators the day before at a well-attended Lobby Day.

LMA has released a cover letter and informative materials to all
senators and representatives. When we visited their offices, we saw
those materials on many desks and in-baskets. We think we helped some
pivotal legislators in finding ways to be both pro-gay *and* pro-family.

We have the complete support of many legislators. They deserve our
thanks. But many other legislators told us of their feeling of
frustration in finding ways to support a vote for our freedom to marry.

They also told us something that YOU can do.

They told us that Monday--the day after church--they began to be flooded
with messages demanding that they vote AGAINST US. They have heard 
ALMOST NOTHING from our communities and our friends.

You can change that. If you haven't called  1-800-562-6000 yet, take
time to call!

MAKE A FREE CALL FOR YOUR FREEDOM.

---
John Wilkinson, Media Relations Director
The Legal Marriage Alliance of Washington
1122 E. Pike St., Suite 1190, Seattle, WA 98122-3934
(206) 689-6280  e-mail: [email-masked]
Web site: www.buddybuddy.com/lma.html