Subject: THE MINORITY STATUS AND CHILD PROTECTION ACT, by the Citizen's Alliance of Washington
From: [email-masked] (Elf Sternberg)
Date: 25 Jan 1994 07:21:47 -0800

>Can anyone tell me what happened with the pro- and anti- gay rights bills
>that the Washington State legislature was supposed to have voted on last
>week?  Here in LA the quake has dominated the news (and my life), so I 
>only heard about the bills just now on the 'Net.  Thanks.

        There are two initiatives collecting signatures to get onto the 
ballot by November.  The first is the creation of the Citizen's Alliance 
of Washington, under the guidance of Lon Mabon (remember him?).  It's 
called:

THE MINORITY STATUS AND CHILD PROTECTION ACT.

AN ACT relating to how homosexuality will be viewed in law and in the 
public policy of the State of Washington.  In this Act, homosexuality is 
defined as sexual desire for aperson of the same gender, as determined 
by the individuals willingess to be openly self-identified with those 
esires, or sexual activity with the same gender.

THE SPECIAL RIGHT OF MINORITY STATUS BASED ON HOMOSEXUALITY PROHIBITED

The People find that inapproprieate sexual behavior does not form an 
appropriate basis upon which to construct a minority or class status 
relating to civil rights.  To identify oneself as a person who 
participates in or who expresses openly a desire for inapproriate sexual 
behavior, such as homosexuality, fails to constitue a legal minority 
classification.

The People establish that objection to homosexuality based upon one's 
convictions is a Right of Consciense and shall not be considered 
discrimination relating to civil rights by any unit, branch, department, 
or angency of state or local government.

The People further establish that in the State of Washington, including 
all political subdivisions and units of state and local government, 
minority status shall not apply to homosexuality; therefore, affirmative 
action, quotas, special class status or special classifications such as 
"sexual orientation," "sexual preference," or "domestic partnerships" or 
similar designations shall not be established on the basis of 
homosexuality.

No public funds shall be expended in a manner that has the purpose or 
effect of promoting or expressing approval of homosexuality.  This 
provision shall not limit the availability in public librarires of books 
and materials written for adults which address homosexuality, provided 
access to such materials is limited to adults amd meets local standards 
as established through the existing library review process.

With regard to public employees, no agency, department, or political 
subdivision shall forbid generally the consideration of private lawful 
sexual behaviors as non-job related factors, provided that such 
consideration does not violate the providsion and purposes of this Act 
and that such factors do not disrupt the workplace.

THE PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM SHALL NOT PROMOTE OR EXPRESS APPROVAL OF 
HOMOSEXUALITY

The People establish that no person representing the state education 
system as an employee, student, volunteer, or guest shall undertake any 
activity that would in any manner advise, instruct, teach, or promote to 
any child, student, or employee that homosexuality is a positive or 
healthy lifestyle, or an acceptable or approved condition or behavior.

FOSTER PARENT STATUS AND ADOPTION BY PERSONS PARTICIPATING IN 
HOMOSEXUALITY PROHIBITED.

The People find that there is compelling state interest in placement of 
minor children, where at all possible, in sound, married, male-female 
households and that such children must never be placed in households 
where homosexuality is present in any manner whatsoever.  Any person 
participating in homosexuality shall not become an adoptive, foster, or 
placement parent.

The People further establish that, upon the dissolution of a marriage in 
which one of the natural parents or other legal classification of parent 
is participating in homosexuality, the minor child, wherever legallly 
possible, will be placed inthe custody of the parent not participating 
in homosexuality.  Where both parents are unqualified, custondy shall be 
awarded to the next closest natural relative, such as gradparents, 
brothers or sisters, aunts, or uncles and so forth.  All consideration 
is to the well being of the minor child and it is the policy of the 
State of Washington that sound natural family relationships are the most 
important initial consideration that will maintain that well being.  
Where this is not possible an adoptive or foster parent is to be ensured.

Every appropriate court and government agency of the State of Washington 
shall enforce the provisions of this section and, at all placement or 
custody hearings, shall enter and maintain a written finding that the 
prospective custodial, adoptive, foster or placement parent does not 
participate in homsexuality.

MARRIAGE BETWEEN PERSONS OF THE SAME GENDER PROHIBITED AND NATURAL 
GENDER DEFINED.

The People establish that same-gender marriages and domestic 
partnerships are hereby declared to be against public policy and shall 
not be legally recognized in any manner by any agency, department, or 
political subdivision of the State of Washington.  The State of 
Washington recognizes that gender that is established at the time of 
conception of all persons is the only and natural gender of that person 
for the duration of their life.  Any physical alterations to the human 
body do not affect the natural gender, knwon at birth or before, of any 
resident of the State of Washington.  Any same-gender marriage or gender 
alteration obtained or recognized outside the State of Washington shall 
not constitute a valid or legal marriage or gender within the State of 
Washington.

ALL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS PROTECED FOR EVERY CITIZEN

In the State of Washington and its political subdivisions, no unit, 
agency, or department of government shall deny to private persons 
business licenses, permits or services otherwise due under existing 
statues, nor deprive, nullify, or diminish the holding or exercise of 
any rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the State of Washington or 
the Constitution of the United States.

SEVERABILITY AND CONSTRUCTION CLAUSE

The People intend that, if any part of the enactment be declared 
unconstitutional by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remaining 
parts shall survive in full force and effect.  This enactment shall in 
all parts be self-executing.  In the event that a conflict arises 
between this legislation and any other provision of law, the policies 
and purposes of this Act shall govern.

LEGAL STANDING

Any person residing in the State of Washington or non-profit entity 
doing business in this state has standing to bring suit to enforce the 
provisions and policies of this Act.

--
PC Bulletin: Henceforth, sentient computers would like to be known as
"Silicon Intelligences."  "Artificial Intelligence" is a pejorative term
invented by humans based on the mistaken belief that computers are some-
how not "natural."                                     - [email-masked]