Subject: HB889 Senate Hearings Set
From: Song Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GLB-NEWS <[email-masked]>

This message originally submitted  by [email-masked]
-----------------
ACTION ITEM:  HB889 Hearings Set for 3/2/94

FROM:  Pat Heck, Virginians for Justice   2/25/94

Senate Hearings on House Bill 889 are tentatively set for 2:00pm on
Wednesday 3/2/94 in the Courts of Justice Committee (Senate Room A in the
General Assembly Building in Richmond).  HB889 is the hate crimes bill
that was stripped of "sexual orientation" and "gender" by the House of
Delegates.

In anticipation of the hearings, Virginians for Justice is arranging for a
victim of a hate crime based on sexual orientation, among other pertinent
persons, to testify.

It is requested that if you have the time, to stop by Senate Room A that
afternoon to lend your support. The Committee will likely be dealing with
many other bills, so it is not possible to verify scheduling in advance.
We will post updates when available.  Testimony from observers will likely
not be possible, but a quiet show of support is appropriate.  If the
Committee seems as though they may report the bill without "sexual
orientation" and "gender" reinstated, then a less subdued reaction may be
called for.  If HB889 passes the committee, it will likely be voted on by
the Senate shortly thereafter.

Also, please spread the following as widely as possible:

ACTION:  Call the your state senator and ask for a NO vote unless "sexual
orientation" is put back in HB889.  Try to be specific so they know that
you support HB889 if the language is reinstated.

Call 1-800-889-0229 to leave messages for your senator. The people
answering the phone sometimes ask only if you support or oppose
legislation, so be sure they record your comments about the bill's
language.  Call your senator's office directly if you don't want to rely
on message takers. (numbers available from Legislative Services at
804-786-6530)