Subject: Fwd: Goddard College (VT) students request assistance
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:21:50 -0400

In a message dated 96-07-31 08:52:48 EDT, BCS41 writes:

<< FEEDBACK:
    * From [email-masked] - We are a couple of young dykes at
Goddard College in Plainfield, Vermont and we are trying to get the word out
on what is going on in our school. Goddard is a very small progressive
liberal arts college in rural Vermont. We are infamous for our queer studies
as well as radical feminist community.
    Two years ago Richard Greene became the president and has since been on a
mission to destroy us (our opinion, of course). His first move was to fire
four queer faculty and staff members without reason. Then, a few weeks ago
selectively  fired sixteen faculty members. He eliminated all queer faculty
members as well as people of color and anyone vocal about wanting a union. He
banned longtime educators who he felt were unfit to be a part of our school.
He eliminated the women's center as well as the lesbian gay and bi alliance.
There is no longer multicultural studies. He has told parents of students who
wanted to know why there was no queer studies that the straight women he had
were fit to do the job (though they had no background). He has intimidated
one young lesbian who spoke up to him yesterday by saying that because she
was employed at the college for the Summer she "worked for him and he paid
her and he won't tell her anything about Queer Studies". -
    We are looking for help. We are trying to file a class action law suit
because the college's catalogue is misleading and we have lost our role
models as well as our community. He is trying to turn our college into a
traditional school when it has never been traditional in all of it's almost
fifty years of being one of the most progressive schools in the country.
    We want the world to know how our queer community, feminist community,
community of color as well as community of people who are vocal about our
rights has been deconstructed. All faculty members who stood up for their
rights and tried to form a union were fired and banned from the campus.
    We are looking to our community (y'all) for some advice on our legal
standing etc. Please pass the word along. >>