Subject: Vermont's Drag Ball takes off
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:37:45 EST

FOR  IMMEDIATE RELEASE: (1/27/98)

WINTER IS A DRAG BALL 3:
FREEDOM TO MARY
FEB. 14, 9 PM
MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM ANNEX, MAIN ST., BURLINGTON VT

Northern New England's Largest Drag Event Enters its third year.

The Winter Is A Drag Ball, which last year drew 500 people to Memorial
Auditorium in Burlington, Vermont is gearing up to be another stellar event.
Featuring the dance music of Yolanda and The Plastic Family, as well as
Endora, Cherrie Tartt, Catherine Quinn, Andrew Smith (of Chin Ho!) and Steph
Pappas. The event will be hosted by performance artist Sue Ball. There are
only two rules for the acts, performers must be in drag, and they cannot
lipsinc.

"I am thrilled to be the featured band, this is my favorite event of the year.
Being HIV+, I appreciate the work of Vermont CARES and I am especially proud
to be able to give something back to the agency." said Yolanda. Yolanda will
be premiering new numbers, new drag, and new hair. Yolanda was recently called
"an Endearing and quirky lad" by Billboard Magazine, and appeared with Martha
Wash at the Dance Music Summit in Chicago in July.

This year's theme is "Freedom to Mary" and will include wedding drag, a
wedding cake by The Artful Baker and decorations by Will Geisler. Both Endora
and Yolanda will be available to perform marriages, and are licensed to do so.

The Artwork for the poster was done by Alison Bechdel, cartoonist of the
internationally  syndicated "Dykes To Watch Out For."

The Event starts at 9 PM, and doors open at 8. Tickets are $ 12.00 in advance
and $ 15.00 at the door. Tickets are available at the Vermont CARES office,
The Peace and Justice Store, or by phone by calling 86-FLYNN.

The event will feature DJ's Rob Douglas and Alan Perry spinning dance music
before and after the show, and after the competition.

At midnight Constance Craving will host the competition, this year's
contestants will vie for over $ 1000 in prizes. Celebrity judges will pick a
number of finalists and then pick runners up, and then crown the Drag King And
Queen of Vermont. Prizes have been donated from a number of local businesses,
including: Out In The Mountains, Jeff's Maine Seafood, Phoenix Rising,
Chassmen and Bem, Old Gold, Greenhope Farm, OutrightVt, Maggie Mae's,
Waterfront Video, The Garment Gallery, Muddy Waters, Metronome, New Victoria,
Club Toast, Purple Shutter, Peace and Justice Store, United Airlines,
Statements Hair Design, Lane Series and many others.

To interview Yolanda, call 865 0385. or email [email-masked] For other
information call Christopher Moes at 865 9294 or email [email-masked]. For
Ticket information call 86-Flynn or VT CARES at 863 2437.