Subject: ACTION ALERT: Utah School Clubs
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 13:17:40 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] (Jessea NR Greenman) ]

Salt Lake City School Board Decision to Ban All Clubs

The word from insiders at the Salt Lake School Board is that it is NOT TOO
LATE to make a difference with letters.  What will help are two kinds of
letters and/or phone calls:
 1.  Personal stories
 a.  About how a club made a difference in someone's life
         b.  About harassment of a gay student
                c.  About what it was/is like to be a gay student
                d.  Other ideas?
        2.  Give the board members a way to save face if they reverse
themselves
                a.  They acted in haste and with all of the pressure, you
understand why they are waiting to reconsider their decision, but that when
things calm down, you hope that they will re-visit the issue and deliberate
more carefully.
                b.  From your experience, teachers are not so busy that
being an advisor to a club is really such a problem and that teachers would
rather have their students involved in clubs than lose interest in school
altogether.
                c.  Other ideas?

You could address your remarks to the President , Mary Jo Rasmussen, and
the Board of the Salt Lake City School District.

President, Salt Lake City Board of Education
Mary Jo Rasmussen
256 South 1200 East
Salt Lake City, UT  84102
Home Phone:  801-583-2144
FAX:  801-583-9913

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________