Subject: Did you see this?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 01:06:01 -0400

$10,000 CHALLENGE TO GAY RECRUITMENT MYTH

Dr. Gary M. Watts is tired of unsubstantiated claims that gays are trying to
recruit young people into their ranks.  So the Provo radiologist is offering
to donate $10,000 to charity if Utah state Rep. David Bresnahan can prove the
claim that his younger brother, who was gay and died of AIDS, was coerced
into a "gay lifestyle" by a scoutmaster.

But Bresnahan said Watts took his comments out of context and the controversy
is subjecting him and his family to public scorn.

Watts issued his challenge in response to a statement Bresnahan made at
April's special legislative session during floor debate on a bill outlawing
school clubs that deal with human sexuality.  The bill was drafted to remove
the Gay-Straight Alliance from East High School in Salt Lake City.

During the House debate, a tearful Bresnahan said his younger brother,
Donald, at first believed his homosexuality was genetically based.  But
later, after his illness progressed, he told Bresnahan that he and several
other troop members had been molested by Scout leaders and that had
precipitated their subsequent homosexuality.

Bresnahan then warned that adult homosexuals are recruiting youngsters into a
gay lifestyle.

"I know if my brother were here today, he would be telling you, or asking me
to tell you, that we need to protect kids from these perverts," the West
Jordan Republican told other lawmakers.

Watts said Bresnahan's statements have no scientific basis.  Watts said that
since his own son told him of his homosexuality eight years ago, he has been
reviewing all the literature on the subject.  "I've met with gay men and
women across this state.  I know of their pain and anguish, seen the hatred
and fear of them," Watts said.

He said stories like Bresnahan's must be publicly rebuked.  "That's why I'm
offering $10,000 to a charity of his choice if he can prove that all these
men [molested in the Scout troop] became homosexual.  It is improbable.  It
is impossible.  The numbers don't add up in any study I've seen.  And public
officials who say these things must be held accountable."

If Bresnahan can't prove some of the old Scout troop is gay because of
molestation - as he said in his speech - Watts wants him to make a public
retraction and apology.

Bresnahan said Thursday he wouldn't be conducting an investigation and
apology. Since reports of his speech were picked up in national media, said
Bresnahan, "I've been subjected to hate calls from throughout the United
States and I'm not going to put my family through this any more."

"All I did is relate a story told to me by my brother literally on his
deathbed.  I didn't question him then, ask for documentation, and I won't try
to prove it now.  Dr. Watts is grandstanding.  He advocates the myth that no
homosexuals are brought into this lifestyle, that all are born to it.  I
don't say all homosexuals are recruited, I believe some are born [that way].
 But not all," Bresnahan said.

The legislator also claimed many groups have had success helping gays become
happy and well-adjusted heterosexuals. "That's all I'm saying, and if Dr.
Watts and others don't like it, that's too bad."

Watts pointed out that even Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Mormon Church's
Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has written that organic causes of
homosexuality cannot be entirely ruled out, and that attacking gays is
inappropriate conduct for church members."