Subject: Olympic Games May Change Bribary-Based 2002 Location - Action Within
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:55:54 EST

Aloha Folks,

This important message and way to be heard against the hypocracy and injustice
of the International Olympics.  Warrants your personal and organizational
action - today.

do good

William E. Woods, MPH 

Aloha kakahiaka kakou.

    Payback time.
    Visit http://www.olympic.org/flat/register/index.html and let the
International Olympic Committee know your reasons why the 2002 Winter
Olympic Games should not be held in Utah in view of the burgeoning
scandal involving site-selection.
    Earlier this week an IOC official was quoted as saying that the
venue would not be changed because of the scandal.  Today (on CNN
Headline News), IOC officials are quoted saying that they *hope* the
venue will not have to be changed.
    The site-selection committee members should abide by the same rules
that the IOC enforces on the playing field for the athletes.  The IOC
would never condone bribery of the participatory athletes, and by
extension should not condone bribery of its site-selection officials.
Now that the world knows of the bribery and other related scandals (that
apparently has been ongoing for quite some time in this and other
venues), it is time for the IOC to quit rewarding such behavior and make
a stand against it by relocating the games.
    Utah was the origin of at least 60% of the funding used to defeat
civil rights for our community in Hawai`i, and I'm presuming a similar
percentage was sent against our Northern friends.
    The Winter Games will not only bring enormous prestige to the host
city, but will also line the pockets of the same people who felt
compelled to relegate us to third-class citizenship if the games remain
in Salt Lake City.
    Other cities that competed for hosting the 2002 Games:  Sion,
Switzerland; Osterbund, Sweden (6th consecutive bid) and Quebec City,
Canada.

Mahalo for your time.

A hui hou,

Martin