Subject: GLUD to cease operations
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 19:57:38 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Tuesday, November 5, 1996

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,323<

GLUD to cease operations

SALT LAKE CITY - Saying that it has accomplished its goals, leaders of the
political-action committee Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats(TM) announced today
that the group will cease operations on Dec. 31. The Gay and Lesbian Caucus
of the state Democratic Party will continue to serve as a way to encourage
bisexual, gay and lesbian people in the state to work within the party to
help protect their equal rights.

GLUD(TM) has operated for almost seven years as the state's largest and most
powerful political-action committee that serves as a campaign resource,
legislative lobby and political-party caucus for bisexual, gay and lesbian
people, and their families and friends. The group has raised more than
$70,000 for its work since it started in January 1990 and was frequently one
of the largest political-action committees in the state. The group also
lobbied successfully for several laws including two Salt Lake County laws
which protect equal employment and services rights in the county government.
Group supporters worked to defeat certain state lawmakers and replace them
with supportive representatives, and often held considerable power in the
Democratic-nomination process.

"GLUD has accomplished its fundamental goals of educating and empowering
bisexual, gay and lesbian people in the state to become more involved in the
Democratic Party," GLUD Founder David Nelson said. "I'm confident that the
hundreds of our supporters who are now working as party delegates and
officers will continue their important work locally, in the state and
nationally for themselves, the caucus and the groups that they create."

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.