Subject: GLUD requests minutes of illegal Utah Senate meeting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 18:36:18 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Thursday, February 1, 1996

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,233<

GLUD requests minutes of illegal Utah Senate meeting

SALT LAKE CITY - After reviewing Utah laws about open state-government
meetings, leaders of the political-action committee Gay and Lesbian Utah
Democratsx delivered today a written request to the state Senate secretary
for the release of the minutes of a secret and illegal meeting on Tuesday,
Jan. 30, between state senators and representatives of the state Office of
the Attorney General and state Office of Education about the matter of state
public- and higher-education schools and homosexuality.

"We hope that state lawmakers will be fair and honest about their actions on
Tuesday by releasing the minutes of the secret and illegal meeting
immediately," GLUDx Founder David Nelson said. "Utahns have the right to know
what was said and who said it during the meeting."

If the group's request is denied, they said they'll take the matter to court.

"The state laws are very clear about our rights to obtain the minutes,"
Nelson said. "We'll pursue every legal avenue that the law gives us."

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.