Subject: David Nelson elected as openly gay Utah Democratic national d
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 22:13:03 -0400

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Saturday, May 11, 1996

Contact: David Nelson
 David Nelson Communications(TM)
 Post Office Box 112095
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-2095
 (801)297-2518
 Internet: [email-masked]

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,173<

David Nelson elected as openly gay Utah Democratic national delegate

SALT LAKE CITY - David Nelson was elected today at the Utah Democratic
Primary Convention to serve in August as a delegate to the Democratic
National Convention. As the founder of the political-action committee Gay and
Lesbian Utah Democrats(TM), he's the second openly gay Democrat from the
state to serve as a national-convention delegate. Former GLUD(TM) executive
director Dale Sorenson was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention
in 1992.

"I'm excited to help a national party and presidential campaign which is more
compassionate, more responsive and, ultimately, more successful than ever,"
Nelson said. "Our job during this campaign is to work harder, smarter and
more closely with our Democratic principles than before. We must respond to
Bob Dole, Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh and their rhetoric of hate and
neglect by showing Americans that we're right and Republicans are wrong."

Nelson will serve as a national-convention delegate from the state's 2nd
Congressional District, and is a longtime Democratic leader and a member of
the state and national Clinton/Gore '96 campaign steering committees.