Subject: GLUD leader appointed to Utah Clinton/Gore '96 Campaign steer
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 16:04:50 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Tuesday, March 5, 1996

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,368<

GLUD leader appointed to Utah Clinton/Gore '96 Campaign steering committee

SALT LAKE CITY - Bisexual, gay and lesbian Utahns are expected to deliver
some of the most loyal Democratic votes in the state for the re-election of
President Clinton and Vice President Gore according to leaders of the
president's re-election campaign and the political-action committee Gay and
Lesbian Utah Democrats(TM). GLUD(TM) Founder David Nelson was appointed today
to the state steering committee of the campaign by its honorary co-chair Ted
Wilson.

"I'm excited about the campaign's plan to encourage bisexual, gay and lesbian
voters to support the president this year as much as they supported him in
1992," Nelson said today after the opening of the Clinton/Gore '96 Campaign
state office. "As part of that plan, the president said in October that he
supports the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act which would prohibit
workplace discrimination against sexual orientation. He directed his
administration to prohibit this discrimination in the federal government and
removed the 40-year ban of federal security clearances for bisexual, gay and
lesbian Americans."

Nelson joined other GLUD leaders at a Democratic National Committee bisexual,
gay and lesbian strategy conference in Washington on Feb. 16 through 18 with
the vice president, campaign staffers, party leaders and White House
officials to discuss the campaign.

"The forces of hate and intolerance will stop at nothing to retake the White
House and build on their majorities in Congress," DNC Chair Donald L. Fowler
said at the conference. "Together, we'll fight for our common values: Mediaid
funding for people living with AIDS and an end to discrimination for all
Americans. You've been at the forefront of this fight and we continue to need
your help."

Campaign and party staffers said at the conference that bisexual, gay and
lesbian groups like GLUD are expected to be fully integrated into national
and state efforts to re-elect the president and vice president, and to help
Democrats win back a majority control of Congress.

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.