From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 May 94 19:41:34 EDT

Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats is a four-year-old political-action committee
which serves as a fund-raising and volunteer resource, party caucus, and
lobby for bisexual, gay and lesbian people in Utah.

We haven't been faced with any homophobic ballot initiatives thanks in part
to a more difficult initiative process for statewide efforts; county-wide
might be more likely.

As for coalitions, yes, we do have several loosely connected organizations
working in the political arena. Statewide, there are about 75 gay and lesbian
groups, and dozens more that do cross-over work. GLUD offers a political bent
to things here. We're joined by the Utah Log Cabin Club (see The ADVOCATE,
this issue) and a lesser-active Libertarians for Gay and Lesbian Concerns of
Utah. GLUD is by far the more influencial.

We've been credited with wr
iting and passing Salt Lake County's nondiscrimination laws which include
"sexual orientatio
n." We've also worked to pass Utah's hate-crime laws and the state
viatical-settlements law. That's just to name a few things.

It's been a busy four-and-a-half years.