Subject: GLUD blasts secret Utah Senate "gay-baiting" meeting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:01:06 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Thursday, February 1, 1996

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,240<

GLUD blasts secret Utah Senate "gay-baiting" meeting

SALT LAKE CITY - Angered at a secret and illegal Capitol Hill meeting on
Tuesday where conservative Utah senators blamed education officials that
state schools are undermining family values and promoting homosexuality,
leaders of the political-action committee Gay and Lesbian Utah Democratsx
said today that they'll explore legal remedies to punish those lawmakers
responsible for what the GLUDx leaders called "outrageous gay baiting."

"The lawmakers involved in this illegal conduct must be held responsible for
their seemingly intentional violation of the state Open Meetings Act," GLUD
Chair Michael Aaron said. "They have decades of legislative experience
between them. It's unbelievable that they didn't know they were violating
their own laws."

"Their actions are outrageous," GLUD Founder David Nelson said. "We plan to
pursue a legal response immediately against everyone who planned and
conducted this hateful violation of state law. They should be embarrassed at
their shameless acts of gross misconduct and prejudice. As if they don't have
enough legitimate work to do already, they want to gay-bait public-school
students."

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.