Subject: GLUD vows fight over efforts to stop gay-student group
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 13:55:46 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Friday, December 22, 1995

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,252<

GLUD vows fight over efforts to stop gay-student group

SALT LAKE CITY - Utah will be faced with a request for the U.S. Department of
Education to withdraw federal funding of state public schools according to
the political-action committee, Gay and Lesbian Utah Democratsx if state
lawmakers support a legislative effort by Utah Eagle Forum President Gayle
Ruzicka to stop the creation of a bisexual, gay and lesbian student group at
East High School.

GLUDx leaders responded today to a threat by Ruzicka to fight the student
group during the 45-day state Legislature starting on Jan. 15. Tentative
support for the group came today from the state Office of the Attorney
General, the state Office of Education, the city Board of Education and
school administrators.

"We're planning to oppose any legislative attempt to stop the student group
and others like it," GLUD Founder David Nelson said. "Our response to such an
attempt will include a request to the U.S. Department of Education to have it
withdraw all funding of state public schools. The federal courts and
government have supported the creation of bisexual, gay and lesbian student
groups in public schools."

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.