Subject: GLUD sponsors state Democratic resolution supporting nondiscr
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 20:36:09 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Saturday, November 11, 1995

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,196<

GLUD sponsors state Democratic resolution supporting nondiscrimination bill

BOUNTIFUL, Utah - Saying that it "strongly supports efforts to provide equal
rights for lesbian and gay Americans in the workplace," the state Democratic
Party adopted today a resolution which encourages Congress to pass the
federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a bill that would ban employment
discrimination against sexual orientation.

Gay and Lesbian Utah Democratsx leaders proposed the adoption and said that
the bill also had the support of President Bill Clinton, the Democratic
National Committee and 157 co-sponsoring members of Congress.

"Our party's support of this bill reflects the commitment that a majority of
Utahns have for protecting the equal employment rights of bisexual, gay and
lesbian people," GLUDx Founder David Nelson said. "More than 65 percent of
Utahns polled in 1992 for The Salt Lake Tribune agree that 'gays and lesbians
should be protected by laws against discrimination in ... jobs.'"

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], or call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996.

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.13118.mail02.mail.aol.com.816140166
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-type: text/plain;
	name="Resolution.ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

A RESOLUTION OF THE UTAH DEMOCRATIC PARTY
SUPPORTING THE FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT NON-DISCRIMINATION ACT
Saturday, November 11, 1995
Utah Democratic Central Committee
Bountiful, Utah
Submitted by:
Michael Aaron
Carrie Gaylor
Howard Johnson
Catherine Matthews
David Nelson
Bryan Stone-Daly
David Thometz
As Utah Democratic Central Committee members, we move to have the committ=
ee adopt this resolution:
1.	WHEREAS, every American deserves an equal opportunity to do his or her=
 job without living in fear of discrimination; and
2.	WHEREAS, the Platform of the Democratic Party commits us to leading th=
e light to ensure that no American suffers from discrimination on the bas=
is of race, gender, language, national origin, religion, age, disability,=
 sexual orientation or other characteristics irrelevant to ability; and
3.	WHEREAS, gay and lesbian citizens are subject to unfair discrimination=
 in the work place; and
4.	WHEREAS, there are laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of rac=
e, gender, language, national origin, religion, age and disability, there=
 are no federal laws that protect gay and lesbian Americans from being fi=
red, refused work, or otherwise discriminated against in the workplace fo=
r reasons that have nothing to do with their job performance or abilities=
; and
5.	WHEREAS, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) would prohibit t=
his kind of discrimination and ensure equal rights in the workplace for a=
ll Americans. The bill has been introduced in the 104th Congress with 150=
 original co-sponsors in the House and Senate. The bill exempts religious=
 organizations and the military, and specifically prohibits quotas or spe=
cial treatment on the basis of sexual orientation; and
6.	WHEREAS, basic human rights should never be the subject of majority op=
inion, it should be noted that polls indicate that majorities of voters o=
f all political stripes support equal rights in the workplace for lesbian=
 and gay Americans. This legislation would ensure that the values of hard=
 work, fair play and equal opportunity apply to all people; and
7.	WHEREAS, President Bill Clinton and the Democratic National Committee =
support the ENDA;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Utah Democratic Party strongly suppor=
ts efforts to provide equal rights for lesbian and gay Americans in the w=
orkplace and commits the party to encourage Congress to pass the Employme=
nt Non-Discrimination Act.=

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.13118.mail02.mail.aol.com.816140166--