Subject: GLUD news
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 16:58:02 -0400

NEWS RELEASE

Sunday, May 21, 1995

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526 metropolitan Salt Lake City telephone number
 (800)648-9996 national toll-free telephone number
 Internet: [email-masked]

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,250<

Utah Democratic Party adopts gay affirmative-action plan

SALT LAKE CITY - Gay and lesbian Utahns will actively be recruited, educated
and trained by the state Democratic Party to achieve their full party
participation under a new affirmative-action plan which was adopted by the
party's central committee on May 19.

The plan also reiterates the party's ban of discrimination against sexual
orientation and includes the development of outreach programs for gay and
lesbian people in the party's presidential delegate-selection process and at
all levels of party affairs for 1996.

"This plan represents an official partnership between gay and lesbian
Democrats and the party to develop a winning strategy for 1996 by inviting,
welcoming and including us at all party levels," Gay and Lesbian Utah
Democrats Founder David Nelson said. "This is an unprecedented step for the
state party."

Delegates to the party's organizing convention also voted on May 20 to elect
GLUD-endorsed candidates Mike Zuhl as chair, Fae Beck as vice chair and
Kolette Nuesmeyer as treasurer. Barbara Eubanks was elected as secretary and
John Clark was elected as national committeeman.

"These party leaders are collectively the most pro-gay and lesbian officers
that the state party has ever had," GLUD Chair Michael Aaron said. "Because
of them and the party's gay- and lesbian-inclusive nondiscrimination policies
in its constitution, bylaws, affirmation-action plan, delegate-selection plan
and platform, and the outreach efforts that were adopted in its
affirmative-action plan, the future looks brighter for bisexual, gay and
lesbian people in the state Democratic Party. Our efforts with the party are
working."