Subject: GLUD condemns Utah bill to ban recognition of same-sex marria
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 11:05:06 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

Thursday, February 9, 1995

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526 metropolitan Salt Lake City telephone number
 (800)648-9996 national toll-free telephone number
 Internet: [email-masked]

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,297<

GLUD condemns Utah bill to ban recognition of same-sex marriages

SALT LAKE CITY - Utah became the second state in a week to have its
Legislature consider a bill which would ban the recognition of same-sex
marriages regardless of where those marriages are performed. The South Dakota
House of Representatives voted on Feb. 2 to ignore and nullify the same-sex
marriages of people who move to South Dakota. The states' actions are being
viewed by gay political leaders in both states as the start of a national
trend by states to preempt a likely requirement to recognize such marriages.

Utah law prohibits same-sex marriages from being performed in the state but
recognizes marriages which are performed in other states and countries.
Same-sex marriages are legal in Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden, but
aren't legal in any state in the United States. The Hawaii Supreme Court is
expected to decide this year that same-sex marriages are legal in that state.
Other states may be required to recognize such marriages.

The Utah bill, H.B. 366, "Recognition of Marriages," is being sponsored by
Republican state Rep. Norm L. Nielsen and would recognize marriages which are
performed in other states and countries only if the marriages meet the same
requirements as a marriage performed in Utah.

Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats leaders announced today that they oppose any
attempt to change the state's laws about the recognition of marriages which
are performed by other states and countries.

"This bill is an obvious attempt to sanction discrimination against gay and
lesbian people who have met every legal requirement for marriage in other
countries and maybe soon in Hawaii," GLUD Founder David Nelson said. "The
arguments for this bill are as offensive as those that supported laws banning
interracial marriage before the laws were struck down by the U.S. Supreme
Court in 1967."