Subject: GLUD blasts Waldholtz claims as "gay-baiting"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 00:07:20 -0500

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

Tuesday, December 19, 1995

Contact: Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats
 Post Office Box 11311
 Salt Lake City, Utah 84147-0311
 (801)238-2526
 (800)648-9996 outside the Salt Lake City calling area
 Internet: [email-masked]
 World Wide Web: http://members.aol.com/glud/

Tear sheet requested

a000
rp
^BC-Gay,245<

GLUD blasts Waldholtz claims as "gay-baiting"

SALT LAKE CITY - Calling her statements "gay-baiting," Gay and Lesbian Utah
Democratsx leaders today criticized U.S. Rep. Enid Waldholtz, R-Utah, and her
attorney for suggesting last week that her husband, Joe Waldholtz, should be
denied custody and visitation of their daughter because of his "questionable
lifestyle choices" and evidence of homosexual pornography.

"With all the various reasons the representative could have cited in her
divorce suit to prevent her husband from receiving child custody and
visitation, his homosexuality, perceived or real, shouldn't have been one of
them," GLUDx Founder David Nelson said. "It appears that the representative
is trying to use gay-baiting to deflect attention from her political and
financial trouble by questioning her husband's sexuality. We hope that the
divorce court looks beyond her attempt to confuse the simple issue of
deciding what is best for the child."

Federal investigators are examining a $1.7 million check-kiting scheme that
benefitted the 1994 Waldholtz campaign. The representative said that her
husband is solely responsible for the misdealings and that she knew nothing
about them.

GLUD is the state's largest and most powerful political-action committee that
serves as a campaign resource, legislative lobby and political-party caucus
for bisexual, gay and lesbian people, and their families and friends. For
more information about GLUD, write to Post Office Box 11311, Salt Lake City,
Utah 84147-0311 or on the Internet at [email-masked], call (801)238-2526 or
(800)648-9996, or visit the group's World Wide Web site at
http://members.aol.com/glud/.