From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 94 16:56:21 EDT

Dear Queers & Friends,

Not content with Proposition 22, now they've trained their sights on our
youth.  Help!  The Austin Human Rights Commission is holding the 2nd of two
public hearings on lesbigay youth issues this Saturday, June 11, 10-noon at
Kealing Jr. High, 1607 Pennsylvania.  They're accepting testimony -- oral 3-5
minutes or written.  (Actually both should be written.)  They really want to
hear from queer youth, ex-youth (which is most of us), parents, family
members, and those who work with youth.  But it's a public hearing.  Which
means Bullock and his folks will want to be heard.  There are only about 2
dozen time slots.  I think it's first come, first served.  

Get a load of this.  Bullock is putting out the following alarming flyer to
his folks:  (Looks like he aims to put it in the newspaper.)

<<Should public schools teach kids about "alternative lifestyles?"
 Well, that's exactly what is being done right here in Austin, and your
hard-earned tax dollars are being used to pay for it all.  
 On May 27, the Austin Human Rights Commission conducted a public hearing on
teenage homosexuaity.
 According to the Austin American-Statesman, "The hearings are modeled on
public forums held last year in Massachusetts, which subsequently outlawed
discrimination against [homosexual] students in the public schools." 
 So is Austin next?  Will our elected officials try once again to pass
bizarre laws based on homosexuality?  Will your school undermine what you
tell your kids at home by teaching them that homosexuality is simply an
"alternative lifestyle?"
 That's up to you, really.  The defeat of "domestic partnerships" proved that
the citizens of Austin reject special laws based on homosexuality.  And by
attending the next meeting of the Austin Human Rights Commission, and
expressing your views, you'll let them know that things haven't changed.
  Where:  Kealing Jr. High
  When:  June 11, 8:00 a.m. - Noon>>

You'll notice they want their people there at 8 am for a 10 am hearing.  That
means we need to get there even earlier to be first in line to sign up.  We
can save places for youth and PFLAG people who may show up late and give them
our time slots.  Some folks are talking about camping out over night.  Please
come.  Early.  Bring donuts and coffee (and a loving, non-disruptive
attitude).  This is really an historic opportunity.  The Commission will
compile a report and make recommendations to city, county, and school elected
officials and other potential change agents.  We need to let people know that
queer youth are killing themselves.  One of the youth who spoke at the first
hearing said, "This is not a matter of right and wrong; IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE
AND DEATH!"

If you have any questions, feel free to call Out Youth at 472-9264.  

 Please spread the word and let me know who else should be alerted.
Remember:  There's only one you for all time; fearlessly be yourself!

Lisa Rogers
Out Youth Austin