From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 02:08:56 EST

ALTERNATIVE YOUTH GROUP OFFERS INCLUSION
SEEKS SAME IN 'ADULT' COMMUNITY

DALLAS -- The voting membership of Dallas based Gay & Lesbian Young Adults, a
youth organized and youth run organization, voted to add Bisexual to their
name as a statement of their openness to youth of all orientations.  This
decision was reached after much debate and discussion for several months
before the actual vote.  "The issue originally came up last summer," said
former CoPresident Bob McCranie, who now serves the group as a liaison
between GLBYA and its parent organization, The Dallas Gay & Lesbian Alliance.
"We had three female bisexual members approach the officers about the 'lip
service'  they were getting about inclusion in the group.  At the time we
weren't as aware of the issues of bisexuality as we should've been and we
tabled the conversation.  But after several months of discussions and debate
the officers realized that those three women had a very valid point.
If this organization is going to serve the youth, then all youth should be
recognized and empowered through our efforts."

As a youth group, Gay Lesbian Bisexual Young Adults has served youth in our
community for ten years now.  GLBYA has weekly meeting with an average
attendance of 35 - 45 people, has served over 1,000 youth since they began
meeting back in 1983.  And yet they struggle for acceptance and respect within
the gay & lesbian community itself.  "Ageism is something that slices both the
older members of our community and the youth," said Kevin Carroll, the current
CoPresident of the organization.  "Often we hear comments about being 'window
dressing' at the functions and board meetings of other organizations.  It's
really degrading to be dismissed that way.  We're not tomorrow's leaders,
we're leaders today and we're simply asking for the same respect that any
other member of this community would get." 

Several members of the youth group recently appeared on a PBS special about
gay, lesbian and bisexual youth which aired January 8th on Channel 2.  They
were also scheduled to be interviewed for a profile piece in a national gay &
lesbian news magazine, but the reporter was told by his editor that the
Dallas leg of his 6 city trip was unnecessary.  "We felt really
disappointed by that," said McCranie.  "A lot of people put so much energy
into this organization and organizations like it across the country.  And
then we hear that the editorial staff felt that the leg of the trip dealing
with youth issues wasn't important enough for them to cover.  We were really
disheartened." 

Vice President Philip Wells said "I think part of the reason the name change
passed is because the gay & lesbian members of the group can relate to being
treated insincerely.  Being young and homosexual gives them a unique
perspective.  If we aren't more inclusive of bisexuals we're just adding to
the same problem we're trying to counter."

GLBYA was invited to have a member sit on a citywide panel dealing with youth
concerns. 
City Councilman Craig McDaniel's office approached the group asking for their
participation. 
"Several groups do come to us and ask us to participate in their functions,"
said Carroll. 
GLBYA will be represented at the upcoming HRCF Mardi Gras, and two members
were given complementary tickets to last fall's Black Tie Dinner.  Carroll
added, "We have members working with The Stonewall Business Association,
HRCF, Gayline, The Gay & Lesbian Community Center, and the NGLTF Creating
Change 94 Host Committee."

GLBYA meets every Thursday at 7:30 pm at the Gay & Lesbian Community Center
located at the corner of Reagan & Brown.  Youth from the ages of 17 through
25 are welcome to attend.