Subject: Gay Congregation Passes $6.2 Million Milestone for New Cathedral
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:19:22 EST

News Release
The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches
Serving 225,000 G/L/B/T Friends and Members Through 300 Congregations In 15
Countries

Release Date:  Jan. 22, 1998

Predominantly Gay UFMCC Congregation Passes
$6.2 Million Mark For New Cathedral
"Powerful symbol of hope," says UFMCC Founder Perry

Los Angeles -- The world's largest predominantly gay and lesbian church passed
the $6.2 million mark this week in fundraising for its new worship facility in
Dallas, Texas.

	The Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), the largest and oldest gay
spirituality organization, congratulated the members of the Cathedral of Hope
Metropolitan Community Church for this historic milestone.

	"UFMCC members in Dallas have once again demonstrated those qualities that
continue to make UFMCC one of the world's fastest growing religious bodies:
commitment and sacrifice," said Perry

	"In Dallas, Texas, and in cities and towns around the globe, the members of
UFMCC are living out our Vision Statement to "meet the justice and faith needs
of people in growing numbers of countries and cultures," said Perry. "This
magnificent new cathedral in Dallas will be a powerful reminder that gays and
lesbians are a deeply spiritual people and are a vital part of God's work in
this world," he added.

	Plans by the Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) in Dallas call for
construction of a $25 million dollar cathedral which will seat 2500 persons.

	With a membership of 2000 persons, the Cathedral of Hope MCC is the largest 
UFMCC congregation. UFMCC was founded in 1968 by the Rev. Troy D. Perry to
provide positive Christian spirituality to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered communities. With headquarters in West Hollywood, California,
the rapidly growing denomination is comprised of more than 300 congregations
in 15 countries and an annual combined budget of $15 million.

(END)

______________________________________
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com