Subject: Cathedral of Hope MCC Is Target of Bomb Threat
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:37:54 EST

N E W S   F L A S H
From The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

Cathedral of Hope MCC Target of Internet Bomb Threat

DALLAS, TX -- The Cathedral of Hope Metropolitan Community Church in Dallas,
Texas, the world's largest predominantly gay and lesbian congregation, has
been the target of a bomb threat posted on the Internet.

The threat, received last Thursday morning by The Dallas Morning News, is
being investigated by the FBI.

The Rev. Mike Piazza, senior pastor of the congregation, said the church would
continue to operate normally. "Our stance is that we need to release this
information so our members know [and] can make their choice. We're going to
have services, but people have a right to know what they are coming to," he
said.

Piazza also noted that last year's bombing of an Atlanta gay bar and more
recent bomb attacks on abortion clinics have forced the church to view all
threats with concern.

The threats affected attendance this past Sunday, but all services were held
as scheduled.

The Internet threat contained condemnations of homosexuals and claimed, "You
think Oklahoma City was bad, wait until you see this."

The Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches, the parent denomination of Cathedral of Hope MCC, noted:
"We strongly condemn these threats to our constitutional rights to worship and
free assembly. Over the past 30 years, more than 20 Metropolitan Community
Church congregations have been targets of the hate crimes of arson or
firebombing, and many more have faced threats to both worshipers and
property."

"I call upon all people of goodwill to uphold the Rev. Mike Piazza and the
congregation of Cathedral of Hope Metropolitan Community Church with their
love and prayers during this time," Perry added. "I salute the church for
keeping its doors open to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons.
The Scriptures declare that 'perfect love casts out fear.' Thorough their
boldness and love, our members and friends in Dallas are communicating the
message that we don't have to be afraid anymore."

The Cathedral of Hope MCC, with a membership exceeding 3000, is a member
congregation of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC).  UFMCC is a Christian denomination which offers positive, affirming
Christian spirituality to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons
and their enlightened friends. With an inclusive membership of 42,000, UFMCC
is composed of 300 congregations in 15 countries.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com