Subject: PFLAG Action Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:31:09 -0500

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
August 5, 1997

		     *********  ACTION ALERT  ***********

      LETTERS NEEDED: MURDER ACCOMPLICE IN GAY BASHING MAY BE RELEASED

Nancy Rodriguez's son, Paul Broussard, was killed on the 4th of July
weekend in 1991. She has been notified that an accomplice in her son's
murder, Paul Chance Dillon, is being considered for early release.

Ms. Rodriguez is asking for PFLAGers to please send letters once again
encouraging the Board of Pardons and Paroles to NOT grant parole.  She
says, "The response of letters last time to TDCJ was just wonderful and I
appreciate everyone's help tremendously.  It means a lot to me to have such
caring people sending protest letters."

Ms. Rodriguez says it is important to urge that parole be denied to this
inmate, and SPECIFICALLY ask not to reset him for review for three years.

Below are some sample letters.  The first one is by Asst. District Attorney
Mike Anderson, and is included in this posting because it describes in
uncompromising language the ugly facts of this case.  The second serves as
a suggested model for your letter.

1)

TDCJ
Pardons and Parole
P.O. Box 13401
Capitol Station
Austin, Texas  78711

Re: Paul Chance Dillon, TDC #00710455

Dear Sirs:

	I am writing you to protest the release of a defendant that was
convicted for his part in the murder of Paul Broussard.
	He and nine other men from the woodlands came into Houston during
the July fourth weekend of 1991 and proceeded to a gay area of town to
"fuck with some fags."  There they met Paul Broussard and his two friends
Kerry Anderson and Rick Delauny.  Without any warning the ten defendants
attacked the three victims.
	The individuals that I am writing to you about threw Paul Broussard
to the ground and began to kick and hit him in the face, chest and groin.
Broussard was then stabbed and his wallet was taken from his pocket.
Several of the assailants struck Broussard and his companions with boards
with nails driven in them.  Broussard later died fron the injuries he
received.
	It would be unconscionable for this defendant to be granted early
release.  He participated in the attack in which a man was killed because
of what they perceived his sexual preference to be.  Although this attack
occured before any hate crime legislation was on the books, this is a hate
crime plain and simple.  This inmate should be denied early parole.
	If I may be of any futher assistance please feel free to call me.

Sincerely,

Mike Anderson
Asst. Dist. Attorney
Harris County Texas

2)

Mr. Victor Rodriguez
Chairman, Board of Pardons and Paroles
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
P.O. Box 13401
Austin, Texas  78711

Dear Chairman Rodriguez:

	It has been brought to my attention that Paul Chance Dillion, TDC
#00710455, will be coming before the board soon.  I urge you to deny parole
in this case and to not reset him for review for three years, which I
understand is in your power.

	Mr. Dillon has committed a very serious hate crime and remains a
threat to the community.  Additionally, Mr. Dillon's victim's mother lives
in another state and frequent review of her son's multiple murderers is
expensive, time consuming and extremely stressful for her.

	A strong, clear message that hate crimes are unacceptable, and will
carry the maximum punishment must be sent.  Please see that justice is
served and do not grant parole to the killer of Paul Broussard.

Respectfully,

Your Signature
Your name written out
Your PFLAG affiliation (ie. Concerned PFLAG Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister,
Member, Chapter President, Chapter Chair, etc.)

cc: Nancy Rodriguez

Ms Rodriguez requests that copies of your letters be sent to her either by
mail or by fax:

Nancy F. Rodriguez
P.O. Box 7782
Warner Robins, GA  31095-7782

Fax: 912.746.4095

Please feel free to repost this action alert to other appropriate lists.