Subject: Zap Tx Atty Genl Dan Morales
From: William Arthur Craven <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list CLGSG-L <CLGSG-L@RICEVM1>

Hey Y'all

        I hope all the recent activity on this server has everybody excited.
It's especially nice to hear from our friends around the country. However, right
now I would like to address an issue near and dear to all of our hearts, and our
bedrooms, and that is the status of the case brought by the Texas Human Rights
Foundation (THRF) to have article 21.06 of the Texas state code declared
unconstitutional.

______________________________________
        THRF is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to fighting
discrimination against gay men, lesbians, and HIV-positive individuals through
litigation and education.  For general inofmration calll (512)479-8473 or write
PO Box 49740, Austin,TX,78765.  For HIV-related information, call
1-800-828-6417.

_________________________________________

        So, great!! We have a court with statewide jurisdiction which says 21.06
is unconstitutional!   So why am I asking you to zap Morales?  Because he has
stated publicly that he will appeal to the State Supreme Court, and there's no
guarantee that they will uphold the Appeals' court decision.  As it stands, if
he doesn't appeal, then 21.06 is essentially unenforceable in the state, as I
understand it.  I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I've been told by the THRF
people.

        So, I'll pass on what THRF has to say about this:
______________________________________________
The THRF would like to encourage all individuals who support the removal of
21.06 to write Dan Morales and encourage him *not to appeal* the Third District
Court's March 11th decision that 21.06 violates the Texas Constitution.

Morales filed a motion for rehearing which the Third Court of Appeals denied on
April 8th.  Morales has thirty days from that date to appeal the decision, so
please act quickly.  WRITE:

                        Attorney General Dan Morales
                        P.O. Box 12548
                        Capitol Station
                        Austin, TX 78711

We have won two battles, but not the war.
_____________________________________________________________

We hear from people in Morales' office that he has already received 400 letters
urging him to appeal, so we really need to flood his office with letters not to
appeal.  It's become essentially a political issue, so go out and exercise your
responsibility to participate in the political process, especially those of you
who are in Texas.

        Sorry that this has been so long a post, but I felt it was important
enough to merit this.  Show how the instantaneous networking offered by email
can be effective.  So get busy with your word processors!!!!!

                                        Bill