Subject: POL:Openly gay cand. wins TX Primary

***This was posted to the Queer Nation mailing list***
 
 Via The NY Transfer News Service ~ All the News that Doesn't Fit
 
 from the LESBIAN & GAY Newsfeed - NY Transfer News Service
 Modem: 718-448-2358  [email-masked]  [email-masked]
 
 from The (Electronic) Gay Community Magazine - March 21, 1992
 
  POLITICS: The Legislature
 
  OPENLY GAY CANDIDATE WINS PRIMARY
 
  AUSTIN, TX (EGCM) Openly gay Texas legislator Glen Maxey won a 
fierce primary battle for the Democratic Party's nomination to 
represent Austin in the Texas House or Representatives in 1993, 
winning with 54% of the vote (6,885 to 5,832).
 
  Maxey will continue as the state's highest ranking openly gay 
official, and faces a tough Republican opponent, Dick Mallory, in
November. Republicans have marked Maxey for defeat in the 
conservative House of Representatives.
 
  Maxey first won his House seat after beating 14 opponents in a 
special election last spring. As a freshman legislator, Maxey 
called for ethical reform in the Texas House of Representative. 
Ultimately, the Speaker of the House was indicted. If he wins in 
November, Maxey is expected to play a major role in the election 
of a new Speaker.
 
  Governor Ann Richard has orders the Texas Penal Code to be 
restructured and has appointed a committee to hold hearing across
the state. Maxey is leading the effort to remove the Texas Sodomy
Statute (Section 21.06) from the law books.
 
  For more information contact: William Waybourn, Executive 
Director; Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund; 9012 14th Street NW #7; 
Washington, DC 20005; Voice 202-842-8679; Fax 202-638-0243. Be 
sure to mention in your correspondence that you heard of this 
through The Electronic Gay Community Magazine.
 
  The entire contents of The Electronic Gay Community Magazine 
are Copyright 1992 by The Land of Awes Computer Information 
System (telephone 316-269-0913 Voice, 316-269-4208 FAX/BBS) but 
may be reproduced by any means without permission from the 
publishers provided that this copyright notice remains with each 
article.