Subject: IYF-Slain Soldier's Girlfriend Says Winchell Wasn't Gay
From: "Clare Howell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:39:49 -0700

MEDIA ADVISORY - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

Editor: Clare Howell, [email-masked] 

Contact: Monica Helms, [email-masked] 

SLAIN SOLDIER'S GIRLFRIEND SAYS WINCHELL 
WASN'T GAY
======================================== 

[Nashville, TN: 17 Aug 99] REFERRED TO IN PRESS
reports as 'a man' and 'a female impersonator,' Calpernia 
Adams, slain soldier Barry Winchell's girlfriend, is a male-
to-female transexual who lives full-time as a woman. 

    PFC Winchell, 21, was bludgeoned to death with a 
baseball bat on 6 Jul 99. A fellow soldier, Pvt. Calvin Glover, 
has been charged with murder. 

    Ms. Adams, 28, cooperated with the Servicemembers' 
Legal Defense Network (SLDN) in portraying herself as a 
man to highlight Winchell's murder as a gay hate crime. 

    Callie, as she is known to friends, works at The 
Connection, a gay night club in Nashville. It was there that 
she met PFC Winchell in March. She says that Specialist 
Justin Fisher, 25, who was later charged as an accessory 
to the murder, had attended the club previously, met her, 
and had returned with several friends, among them Winchell. 
It was Fisher who introduced Adams and Winchell. 

    Ms. Adams said that she found Winchell 'cute, polite, calm
and masculine.' He asked her for a date and they became
intimately involved. She says Winchell was not gay-identified.
She maintains that they had a 'straight' relationship, and that
Winchell had never had sex with a man. 

    She says that it was only after she and Winchell became
involved that the anti-gay harassment he suffered in the 
barracks began, probably instigated by Spec. Fisher. 

    Fisher, in addition to being charged as an accessory to 
murder after the fact, has been charged with participating 
as a principal to premeditated murder by encouraging Pvt. 
Glover, making false statements to Army investigators, and 
obstructing the investigation. 

                        ### 

Subscriptions. Please contact:
[email-masked] 

For prior releases, check the
GenderPAC website at:
http://www.gpac.org 

(c) 1999 InYourFace
GenderPAC's independent online
news-only service for gender
activism. 

The opinions expressed are
not necessarily those of
GenderPAC's Board, Officers,
or membership.