Subject: Miss Laura
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:05:24 EDT

The following is about a 80 - something year - old african american woman in
our church here in Nashville. Her father worked for Booker T. Washington, she
is friends with Coretta Scott King and Rosa Parks. Her life is rich in history
and the struggle for civil rights. A few years ago she appeared in a non-
discrimination ad for the Lesbian and Gay Coalition for Justice and she walked
the pride parade many years. Last year her life was profiled on a tv special
shown on odessy network. She is a very special lady who has touched many lives
- including many gay and lesbian lives. A few weeks ago she was singing and
smiling in church. She suffered a stroke and now complications. Please
remember her and her family and friends in the way that is best for you. Thx -
Bev & Anne

Subject: Our Miss Laura
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:02:13 EDT

I just talked with Bob Colman.  Things are not encouraging.  Laura still has
no responses.  They did a C-T scan and found that the aneurysm is still there
and that it is leaking blood.  

They have decided to keep her where she is through the weekend.  By Monday
they will need to be making those hard decisions about whether to move her to
a full time care nursing home or to withhold feeding and support.  Laura has a
living will, but that is predicated on the doctors feeling that there is no
hope for any kind of life for her.  They are apparently not willing yet to go
that far.

Your prayers for God's will and what's best for her are needed now, more than
ever. The family also needs those prayers.

This will be very hard on everyone, but perhaps most of all on Sonny.  Laura
told us just last week that she and Sonny had recently had a long discussion
about how he would do without her and she was satisfied that he would be fine.

This great lady has taught us all the great lesson of love for all of God's
children.  Just look in the faces and you'll see God and God's Love.  That's
what being a christian is.  Love.

Be present with us as we go through this together.

Lauren