Subject: The Center Email Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 14:25:11 -0400 (EDT)

The Center Update Email - October, 1997

The Center 703 Berry Road, Nashville, TN  37204 (615)297-0008)

The Center for Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transgendered Life in Nashville has
started an email list to help get the word out about The Center and it’s
activities.  Please send this message on to any of your friends who might be
interested.  Anyone who wishes to be added to the list can send us an email
and we’ll add them to the next mailing.  If anyone would prefer not to be on
this list, hit reply and type “remove” in the subject and in the body of the
message and we will try to remove you as promptly as possible.

The Center offers switchboard services, various social and support groups,
counseling, a library, a community resource area, and a safe place for
community members.  We are about hospitality and community building.  Come
get involved!

We are located at 703 Berry Road Nashville, Tennessee  37204, 615-298-1632.
Check out our web page - AOL users click on the blue sentence below, all
others type in the address below:
<A HREF="http://pweb.netcom.com/%7Ejlove1/nlc.htm">Welcome to The Center!</A>
HTTP://PWEB.NETCOM.COM/~JLOVE1/NLC.HTM

Thanks, 
Bev Clendenen, MSSW
Center Director

Happy National Coming Out Day - Ya'll Come Out Now, Ya Here?!!!!!!!!!!!

In this Edition:

1. Blu’s Crazy Cowboy Benefit
2. Student Intern
3. Resource Nights at The Center
4. November 1st Great Center Fall Fund-raising Dinner
5. Room in the Inn - starts November 1st
6. We are Parent’s Too family get together November 8th
7. Special PFLAG Meeting
8.  Football!!!!!!

1.  On September 20, Larry Burgett, owner of Blu’s Crazy Cowboy, held a
benefit for
The Center.  They raised $872 for the General Operating Fund.  Blu’s is our
very best bar
sponsor as they also make monthly contributions to The Center and we
appreciate the
awesome support his establishment gives to our organization.  Let’s support
this
wonderful community-minded bar located at 2311 Franklin Rd.  Thanks Larry and
all the
patrons and performers!  

2.  Through our Wellness Project, individual and couples counseling is
available by Debi
Carver, who is a student intern from MTSU.  Services are free.  She needs 600
hours for
her degree, so don’t be shy - take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! 

3. Resource Nights at The Center:
	1st Thursday each month - Real Estate
	2nd Thursday each month - Financial Planning
	3rd Thursday each month - Legal Issues
	4th Thursday each month - Spiritual Issues

Each session begins at 7pm, and the format is question and answer.
 Professionals
available each night for information and consultation.

4. On Saturday, November 1st, The Center’s Great Fall Fund-raising Dinner
will be held to benefit the General Operating Fund.  The Dinner will be at
Edgehill United Methodist Church at 1502 Edgehill Avenue near Music Row.  The
dinner will feature
entertainment, food from Nashville’s best restaurants, and information
regarding the
incredible new happenings at The Center and our amazing plans for the future.
It will
begin at 6:30pm and should finish by 8:30pm.  We have two goals to accomplish
on this special night. Donations will be taken up for the cost of  dinner(
almost all of the cost of the dinner has been donated, so all proceeds can go
to The Center).  These funds will support our budget for the remainder of
1997.  Then, commitments will be taken for monthly contributions for 1998.
 About 40 individuals supported The Center in 1997 - just imagine what all
The Center could become if this number would increase to 100?!  A new Board
of Directors is taking on the task of planning for a new expanded space for
The Center and a paid staff position.  We must start now to build a base for
monthly support to underwrite the expenses of rent, salaries and utilities.
 Table hosts are filling tables for this exciting event - if you have not
been invited and would like to attend, please call The Center switchboard at
297-0008 to make your reservation. Seating is limited, so don’t delay.  

5.  Room in the Inn - Each winter, The Center participates in the program for
the
homeless called “Room in the Inn”.  We are the only non-church group
participating and many of the people like us best!  Every Saturday night,
volunteers go down to the shelter and pick up 10 to 12 (screened) homeless
people and bring them back to The Center for a warm meal and a bed.  This is
an incredible way to give back to the community and to gain something for
yourself - many participants state that they get much more out of that night
then they give.  If you or a group you are involved in, would like to donate
your time or a meal one Saturday night between the months of November and
March, please contact The Center at 297-0008.  Also, we are in need of the
following donations: paper goods, toilet paper, trash bags, canned food items
for emergency purposes, old towels, sheets, hygiene items, etc.  Any
volunteer help would be appreciated.

6.  We are Parents Too - Our family group has planned an outing on Saturday,
November 8th from 11am to 2pm.  Come prepared to paint your own piece of
pottery, all ages are welcome!  Meet at Third Coast Clay located at 2814 12th
Ave. South.  For more information call The Center at 297-0008.

7. Last month’s Nashville PFLAG (Parents, Friends, Family of Lesbian and
Gays)
meeting was a wonderful experience. They hosted a panel of parents and
siblings of gays who gave tips about how to come out to our friends and
family. Everyone enjoyed the discussion and lots of good advice was given.

This month, they will host a special meeting for people who have experienced
someone coming out to them. Parents will give pointers to parents and gays
and lesbians will also share helpful hints about how they felt. If you
recently came out, bring or send your friends and family to PFLAG. PFLAG
Nashville meets the third Tuesday of each month at the Unitarian Church at
1808 Woodmont Blvd. at 7pm. For more information call The Center @ 297-0008.

8.  Football! The Sports and Fitness Network is hosting flag football on
Saturday,
October 25th  from 2pm - 4pm at Shelby Park, in front of the community
center. Take Shelby Avenue all the way to the park, turn left before entering
the park and you will see the community center. Come by yourself, or bring a
team and join in the fun!