Subject: Fw: Sioux Falls Center ribbon cutting
From: "FACES of South Dakota" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:22:26 -0600

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SIOUX FALLS CHAMBER COMMERCE SUPPORTS OPENING GAY CENTER

by Lawrence Novotny

   About 75 people attended the ribbon cutting and open house of the
Sioux Falls glbt community center which was held at 4:30 pm on June
15, 1998.  The Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce welcomed the gay and
lesbian community center to Sioux Falls.
   In his remarks, Chamber Ambassador Dave Anderson talked about how
the town of Sioux Falls started out with Norwegian settlers.  The
Norwegians were joined by Germans and other ethnic groups as Sioux Falls
grew creating a diverse community.  Now it is time to recognize the
contributions of another segment of the Sioux Falls community, said
Anderson - its gay and lesbian citizens.
   About 25 Chamber of Commerce members were present for the ribbon
cutting.  After the cutting, the Chamber members mingled with lesbians
and gays enjoying the food.  It is unusual to see this large of a turn-
out at a Chamber ribbon cutting said one of the lesbian organizers of
the event.  Generally 5-6 Chamber people show up at a ribbon cutting.
Event organizers interpreted the high attendance as a strong sign of
support for the Center.
   The Center is a joint project of FACES (Free Americans Creating
Equal Status) of South Dakota (the statewide glbt organization) and
of the Sioux Empire Gay & Lesbian Coalition which has been in existence
in Sioux Falls for over 20 years.  The Center provides a resource
library, meeting and office space for glbt organizations and support
groups, and a social gathering space.  Its location is at 401 E. 8th
Street, Suite 217 in the 8th & Railroad Center Building.  The Center
which is staffed by volunteers will be open on Monday & Wednesday
evenings from 6-9 pm and on Saturdays from 1-4 pm.  Women's rap sessions
will be held on the first and third Friday evenings of each month.
Men's rap sessions will be held on the second and fourth Friday evenings
    Several parents of Center volunteers attended the ribbon cutting.
Several lesbians & gays brought their children to the event.
    The ribbon was cut by Sherri Walton, president of the Sioux Empire
Gay & Lesbian Coalition and by Lawrence Novotny, secretary of the
board of FACES.  The lavender ribbon was held by Rev. Don Reusch,
minister of the Sioux Falls Metropolian Community Church and by
Karen Coffman, activist and Center volunteer.
    Linda Lemons, SEGLC member, accepted the plague that was presented
to the Center by the Chamber of Commerce.  Lemons made the following
remarks before the ribbon was cut.
    "The rainbow flag you see behind us is recognized throughout the
United States and Europe as a symbol of gay pride and unity.  The six
colors of the rainbow represent the diversity of the gay and lesbian
community, one that encompasses people from all backgrounds, races and
national origins and that spans the panoply of faiths and experiences.
We are your children, your neighbors, the person with whom you share
an office at work.  We are your brothers and sisters, your classmates
and the guy who plays basketball for your team.  We wear white collars
as well as hard hats.  We diagnose your illnesses, sell you goods and
services and raise families.  We know no barriers of color, religious
background, nationality or political affiliation.  We have been part of
humanity since antiquity and now we are helping to shape the future.
    On behalf of the Sioux Empire Gay & Lesbian Coalition/FACES of South
Dakota, we want to sincerely thank all of you for coming this afternoon
to help us celebrate the opening of this Community Center.  We ask you
to join us in a pledge to foster diversity in our community as we enter
the 21st Century.  This facility is the first step in providing a
resource center and a meeting place to encourage political envolvment.
Through this Center our telephone help-line will continue to provide
assistance to the lesbian and gay community at large."

><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>
Corporate Mailing Address:
Free Americans Creating Equal Status of South Dakota, Inc.
FACES of South Dakota, South Dakota Alternative Library
PO Box 2354, Rapid City, SD 57709-2354
Phone 605-343-5577, FAX 605-394-8962
email: [email-masked] 
webpages:  http://www.rapidnet.com/~facessd/
 
Offices, libraries and meeting rooms at:

**401 E 8th Street Ste 217, Sioux Falls, SD 57103-7005

**2218 Jackson Blvd Ste 8, Rapid City, SD 57702-3452
 Phone: 605-343-5577
 FAX: 605-394-8962
 email: [email-masked]
 Open Tuesday Night 7 PM until 10 PM
 Open Thursday 11:00 until 1:30 for brown bag lunch
 Open Saturday and Sunday 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM

 Special Meetings:
 Unified Live and Let Live Alsoholics Anonymous
 Thursday Nights at 8 PM
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>