Subject: IN DEFENSE OF DEBBIE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 04:23:02 -0400

5/13/95

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

IN DEFENSE OF DEBBIE

	Five years ago, Debbie met Jimmy (not their real names) a man who fathered 
her child. Jimmy didn't marry Debbie and didnt care about his son. Debbie is 
25. Jimmy is 38. Their son  is 4 years old. Jimmy wanted Debbie and their son 
to live with him. By that time, Debbie had discovered the truth about herself, 
met a woman and fallen in love. Out of spite, Jimmy  has fought Debbie for 
custody of their son.

	The child has a legally hyphenated last name.  Jimmy's last name followed 
by Debbie's. According to the Debbie ,Jimmy has been teaching the child that 
the mothers last name means "girl" and that he shouldn't want to have a girl's 
name. Jimmy has been reported for child abuse, because the son has talked 
about what his father's done to him.  Since Jimmy's brother works in the 
investigative services, the wheels of justice are moving slowly. (Though 
Jimmy's had a private investigator literally peering into the home of Debbie's 
mother and reporting back to Jimmy and his attorney. He's been a pain in the 
neck, makes substantially more money than Debbie, and has issued threats to 
Debbie & her mother.

	We need to change that. Debbie hired an attorney for several court dates. 
and ended up with $1,000 in legal bills she could not pay. The lawyer has 
turned her over to a collection agency. The next court date is May 20th. The 
lies that are being told, the level of intrigue, (including a political 
insider in the child protection services being Jimmy's brother), and an 
insensitive judge whose homophobia has been aroused by jimmy, all make this a 
fairly typical case.  Debbie had not seen her son since October 1994, and was 
able to see her son today for only a few hours by order of the court.

	I will be placing a call to her former attorney on monday and securing 
copies of all paperwork that Debbie has available. I have put her mother in 
touch with the local PFLAG chapter. Some of our PFLAG folks have strong ties 
to women's anti-violence groups here in Rapid City.

	We're seeking advice on how to handle this, advice on starting a defense 
fund, and any suggestions you might have. Debbie has told me that legal 
services will not handle child custody cases. We have sent this message to 
everyone we know. We could use your advice and help.

Barry Wick, Executive Director

South Dakota Gay Lesbian & Bisexual Federation
13121 South Creek View Road
Rapid City, SD 57702
(605) 343-5577
1 (800) 354-3417 toll free in South Dakota
TOMALHE @aol.com