Subject: FWD: Columbia, SC Matt Shepard vigil
From: "Jay Moseley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:44:02 -0600 (CST)

(Courtesy of South Carolina Pride Movement -- www.scpride98.org)

The Carolina Peace Resource Center, in affiliation with the Fellowship
of Reconciliation and the Columbia Friends Meeting (Quakers) calls
upon people of compassion of all faiths to attend this vigil in
memory of Matt Shepard and the victims of all hate crimes.

The vigil is scheduled for SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 1998 at 7:00 PM, in
front of the SC State Capitol building, Main Street/North Side.

Please bring flashlights in place of candles (which are not allowed
according to the Standard Fire Prevention Code) and join us in the
spirit of non-violence, compassion and equality.

America's oldest, largest interfaith peace and justice organization,
the Fellowship of Reconciliation, is saddened by the recent brutal
murder of Matthew Shepard in an anti-gay attack in Laramie, Wyoming,
on October 12.

"The most fundamental of all religious values is respect for the
life and dignity of every human being," states Doug Hostetter,
Interfaith Secretary of the Fellowship of Reconciliation.  Immediately
following Matthew Shepard's death, Hostetter emphasized that,
"People of faith must join together to protest violence and the
dehumanization of any person.  We affirm that we are all a part of
the great and wonderful human family -- all of us, children of
God."

We are deeply troubled that any group claiming religious affiliation
could condone or encourage such hatred against other human beings.
The homophobic views currently expressed by many religious and
political groups have undoubtedly contributed to the present
atmosphere in which the number of anti-gay hate crimes has increased
significantly. In this regard we condemn recent advertising campaigns
which advocate forcibly changing or "healing" homosexuals.  If
anything needs "healing," it is the damage caused in society by
all forms of prejudice and violence -- religion and society cannot
condone or encourage such hatred and violence, on any grounds.

We join FOR in calling on the U.S. Congress and state legislatures
to pass Hate Crime Prevention laws which specifically prohibit
crimes that target people based on sexual orientation.  This is
not asking for "special rights," but for members of the Gay and
Lesbian community to be afforded the same basic rights guaranteed
to all under the United States Constitution and the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.  We remain committed to the promotion
and creation of a world of nonviolence, equality and justice for
all.

For more information, please contact the Carolina Peace Resource
Center (803) 252-2221.

Endorsed by:  Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America * Buddhist
Peace Fellowship * Episcopal Peace Fellowship * Lutheran Peace
Fellowship * Presbyterian Peace Fellowship * United Church of Christ
Fellowship of Reconciliation * UUC Coalition for Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual and Transgender Concerns * UCC Open and Affirming
Congregations Program * UCC Youth and Young Adult Program * Unitarian
Universalist Peace Fellowship
____________________________________________________________________

The Charlotte Rainbow Newsletter is a free e-mail newsletter
providing local, regional, and national news and events of interest
to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community of the
metro Charlotte, North Carolina area.

The newsletter was established April 4, 1997 as a result of the
Mecklenburg County "Gang of Five's" decision to cut funding to area
arts organizations because of homosexual themes in their presentations.
Since its establishment,  the list of subscribers has grown to over
500.

SUBSCRIPTION INFO:  To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your email
address, please send an email message to [email-masked]
with the action in the subject line.  For change of addresses,
please include both addresses in the body of the message.

To view newletter archives, newsletter policies, a community
calendar, links and more, check out our web page at:

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Village/7620

Thank you for your support.  Please share this newsletter with your
friends and others who may be interested.