Subject: News from Philadelphia
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:08:12 -0400

Here's the notice of next Monday's demonstration -- Ain't we got fun? 

URGENT--STOP NEWT GINGRICH - LOCAL ACTION ON 8/21

On Monday, August 21, 1995, Newt Gingrich will be signing 
books at Borders in Byrn Mawr.  We will be there with a 
number of other groups to ruin his day.  The following 
information will tell you how you can get involved in this 
demonstration.

WHEN, WHERE, AND HOW========================================

 There will be FREE bus transportation from Center City to 
 Borders in Bryn Mawr. Buses will be leaving from Fifteenth 
 Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard (the plaza with the 
 "LOVE" statue) and from Thirtieth Street Station (Thirtieth 
 and Market Streets).  Buses leave both places at 9:15 a.m.

 Civil-rights attorneys and legal observers will be at Borders.

 HEAD-COUNT REQUEST--each group has been asked to confirm the  number of
seats that they need.  If you are not confirming  through another group (no
double-dipping), then please join  our Fight the Right Network head count.

 Early decisions are helpful.  Head-count messages don't need 
 to include a name, but it would be nice to know.  Your name 
 will not be shared with the broader coalition.  This is 
 information for the Fight the Right Network. 
 
 SEE CONTACT INFORMATION AT THE END ABOUT WHERE TO LEAVE THE  HEAD COUNT.

VOICE MAIL=========================================

 The following voice mail announcement has been placed on 
 215.389.1400 voice-mail box #6 (events).  Please spread the 
 word to friends without Internet mail by giving them our 
 voice-mail number or by relaying a similar message to their 
 answering machines.

 VOICE-MAIL ANNOUNCEMENT

  NEWT GINGRICH will be signing books at Borders in Bryn Mawr   at 11:00 AM
on Monday, August 21.
 
  Free bus transportation is being provided by a broad-based AD   HOC
COALITION TO STOMP NEWT which includes the Fight the   Right Network. 
 
  Buses will leave at 9:15 AM from 15th and JFK Boulevard and 
  at 9:30 am from 30th street station.  To be added to the  
  Network's bus headcount, please leave a message after the 
  tone. Also, we need volunteers for the Network's telephone 
  tree. Please call 215.745.9990.

TELEPHONE TREE=========================================

 The Fight the Right Network has 450 telephone numbers to call  for this
action.  Volunteers are needed to leave messages.  
 If you can call 10 people or answering machines, please call 
 our telephone tree coordinator, Cathianne, at 215.745.9990

COALITION MEMBERS=====================================

 As of Wednesday morning the following groups have become  a  part of the
coalition working on the STOMP NEWT 
 demonstration.  To have your group added to a joint press 
 release, call Paul at 215.731.1844.
 
 Tenant Action Group
 AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
 Fight the Right Network
 Philadelphia Unemployment Project
 American Friends Service Committee
 National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League
 National Organization of Women
 Citizen Action
 Youth Health Empowerment Project
 Union of the Homeless
 We the People with AIDS/HIV
 Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

PROPS, GIMMICKS, AND SLOGANS================================

 There are two Newt Gingriches.
 
 The "real" Newt Gingrich will be in the Borders parking lot 
 to sign his new book, "Death Certificates for the American 
 People."  Demonstrators are invited to have Newt personally 
 autograph their death certificates.
 
 Legal Protection/Free Speech--Civil Rights attorneys and 
 legal observers will be at Borders in Bryn Mawr.
 
 There will be a props-making party on Sunday, August 20, at 
 3:00 PM at 1318 Walnut.  Be there, bring materials.
 
 "Cut Federal spending, Get Rid of Newt"
 Ideas for sign slogans may be shared through the Internet--
 send a message with the subject "sign slogan" to 
 [email-masked]

CONTACT INFORMATION==================================

 To request a flyer by facsimile, call Paul at 215.731.1844.
 To have your group added to a joint press release, call Paul.
 
 The flyer says to call Jacqui 215.575.1110, ext. 4, to 
 confirm the number of bus seats you need.  Individuals who 
 call Jacqui to confirm the number of bus seats should NOT 
 also confirm through an organization such as the Fight the 
 Right Network.  No double dipping.

 FIGHT THE RIGHT NETWORK CONTACTS

 To give us your bus head count, send mail to 
 [email-masked] or call 215.389.1400 voice-mailbox 5 
 (Events).
 
 To hear the voice mail announcement, call 215.389.1400 
 mailbox 6 (Events).
 
 To volunteer to call our telephone tree, call Cathianne at 
 215.745.9990.  If you cannot reach her, send mail to 
 [email-masked] or call 215.389.1400 mailbox 6 (Events).
 
 To make additions to our postal mailing list, send a message 
 to [email-masked] or call 215.389.1400 voice-mailbox 5 
 (Communications).
 
 To make additions to our Internet mailing list, send a 
 message to [email-masked]
 
 To volunteer with the Fight the Right Network (mailing 
 parties, working groups, etc.), send a message to 
 [email-masked] or call 215.389.1400 voice-mailbox 
 #3 (Research/Volunteers).
 
 Use voice-mailbox #6 to volunteer for the STOMP NEWT effort.   We will be
responding to all other volunteer messages after  Labor Day.