Subject: PGN: E.D. salary raises vs. food, filters for PWAs
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:45:45 EST

TPAC director receives another salary increase
By Timothy Cwiek
Philadelphia Gay News
Feb. 19 - 25, 1999

Larry Hochendoner, executive director of The Philadelphia AIDS Consortium, has
received another salary increase, bring his annual salary to $96,000.

At a February 12 meeting, a majority of the TAPC board agreed to grant
Hochendoner the raise, retroactive to November 1998.

About two months ago, Hochendoner received a $10,000 raise from the board,
which increased his salary from $80,000 to $90,000.

"I appreciate the confidence of the board," said Hochendoner in a brief
interview this 
week.

He declined additional comment.

TPAC distribute approximately #3.7 million in government and private sector
AIDS 
funding throughout southeastern Pennsylvania.

Hochendoner has serves as director of TPAC since March 1996.  His initial
salary was $58,900, according to TPAC records.

Also on February 12, board members agreed to extend Hochendoner's contract to
June 30, 2000.  It was set to expire June 30.

But the new contract will contain a clause permitting the board, or
Hochendoner, to 
terminate the contract, after giving 30 days notice,  members said.

Some critics have faulted the local AIDS system for allegedly having too many 
organizations with high salaries and administrative expenses.

In contrast, critics contend, many low income PWAs go without adequate
housing, food, and safe drinking water.

But also last week, the TPAC board allocated $10,730 for the purchase of 75
additional water filers for low income PWAs.

Last year, TPAC purchased 300 water filters for low income PWAs, but those
filters were distributed within two months of the program.

Another TPAC grant of $40,000 for additional water filters is not expected
until July, 
board members said.

The board also agreed to allocate $5,000 to MANNA for the purchase of
additional food.  TPAC members want MANNA to continue service culturally
sensitive meals to Latinos, members said, and whole, natural foods for PWAs on
macrobiotic diets.

Greg Goldman, executive director of MANNA, told PGN this week that MANNA would
follow those wishes.

"Macrobiotics is definitely something that we have looked at in the past year,
and we will continue to look at," Goldman said.  "We've also made great
strides with the Latino community in the last year, and we shall continue to
work hard to be maximally responsible to the needs of the Latino community."

>end<