Subject: INTERFAITH ORGANIZATION CHALLENGES THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT'S DOMINATION OF THE REPUB
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:28:15 EDT

INTERFAITH ORGANIZATION CHALLENGES THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT'S DOMINATION OF THE 
REPUBLICAN PARTY 

Southern Baptist Minister to Speak at Unity2000 Rally

MEDIA ALERT:                    Contact:  Laura Montgomery Rutt
EQUAL PARTNERS IN FAITH             Cell Phone: 717-951-7712
July 28, 2000: For Immediate Release

Philadelphia, PA - Tens of thousands of demonstrators are expected at the 
UNITY2000 March and Rally on Sunday, July 30th, in Philadelphia, PA.  Rev. 
Steven Baines, Executive Coordinator of Equal Partners in Faith, a gay 
Southern Baptist minister, will be address the crowd at 1:00pm during a rally 
which takes place in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum at the end of the 
Ben Franklin Parkway.

"For too long, the religious right has been falsely portraying people of 
faith as anti-gay, racist, and sexist," declared Rev. Baines.  "I am going to 
be telling the world that these political-religious extremists do not speak 
for all people of faith.  Their masquerade of hiding inequality and exclusion 
behind a veil of religion has to end.  Any party which comes under the 
domination of the religious right must be confronted."

WHO: Rev. Steven Baines joins over 30 speakers, over 200 organizations, and 
tens of thousands of individuals

WHAT: UNITY2000 RALLY in Philadelphia

WHERE: In front of the Philadelphia Art Museum, at the end of the Ben 
Franklin Parkway

WHEN: July 30, 2000
    Rally begins at approximately 12 noon
    Rev. Baines scheduled to speak at approximately 1:00pm

WHY:  To challenge the religious right's domination of the Republican Party, 
and promote the values of equality and diversity

Founded in 1997, EQUAL PARTNERS IN FAITH is a multi-racial interfaith network 
of religious leaders and people of faith committed to equality and diversity. 
Our diverse faith traditions and shared religious values lead us to affirm 
and defend the equality of all people, regardless of religion, race, ability, 
gender, sexual orientation or gender identity. As people of faith, we 
actively oppose the manipulation of religion to promote exclusion and 
inequality. 

EQUAL PARTNERS IN FAITH is helping mainstream and progressive people of faith 
promote a more inclusive vision of religion and society. 

Equal Partners in Faith
2026 P Street NW
Washington, DC  20036
(202) 296-4672 ext. 14
(202) 296-4673 fax
email:  [email-masked]
http://www.us.net/epf

Circulated by Laura Montgomery Rutt, EPF National Board of Directors
[email-masked]