Subject: Re: New right wing tactic...

From: Don Wilhelm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 1994 04:15:45 -0800 (PST)

Maria (et al).  Saw your post to qgv@vector.  Here's the local news 
article, since I'd already keyed it in:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(reprinted, without permission, from the Oregonian, Dec. 31, 1993)

NEW OCA GROUP TO HELP HOMOSEXUALS CHANGE
Brooks -- The Oregon Citizens Alliance, in an attempt to soften its 
harsh anti-gay image, announced Thursday the formation of a support 
group to help people "escape homosexuality" and help families deal 
with homosexual children.

OCA Chairman Lon Mabon said the organization would blunt criticism of 
"those who portray us as a spiteful, mean-spirited organization."

Called HOPE, an acronym for Help One Person Escape, the group also 
would create a mentoring program that would link homosexuals who want 
to change their sexual orientation with "mentors" of the same sex who 
would encourage them and act as role models.

The group is the OCA's answer to a pro-gay organization, Parents, 
Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays, which was formed in the 
early 1980s by parents with gay and lesbian children.

Sue Willard, an OCA employee who came up with the idea to create the 
new group, called PFLAG a front organization created "by homosexual 
activists to give legitimacy to their causes."

PFLAG was incorporated in Oregon in 1982, according to William 
Shepherd, a Portland lawyer, who with his wife, Ann, started the 
Oregon chapter.

Candace Steele, Pacific Northwest regional director of PFLAG, said 
most of the group's board of directors and regional directors were 
parents, although the group does allow homosexuals to attend meetings.

There are PFLAG organizations throughout the United States and in 11 
foreign countries, she said.

Willard said HOPE now had only a half-dozen members and meets in 
Salem.

She said she planned to organize chapters wherever there is interest.

The OCA is collecting petition signatures in hopes of putting its new 
anti-gay-rights measure on the November 1994 ballot.

A similar measure was defeated by Oregon voters in 1992.