Subject: Oregon Governor's Proclamation
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 03:40:38 -0400

Governor John Kitzhaber of Oregon has issued a proclamation naming October
1995 Lesbian and Gay History Month in the State of Oregon

text follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------
OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR     PROCLAMATION
STATE OF OREGON

WHEREAS:	Gay and lesbian people have made many important contributions to
society; and

WHEREAS:	Recent research has shed new light on these contributions and has
increased all of our understanding of gay and lesbian people and their
history; and

WHEREAS:	1995 is the twenty-sixth anniversary of the Stonewall Rebellion,
which marked the beginning of the modern gay and lesbian liberation movement
in the United States; and 

WHEREAS:	Nine states have already banned discrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation; and 

WHEREAS:	The Kitzhaber administration is committed to fairness and the
recognition of the full rights and responsibilities of citizenship and
contributions of all Oregonians; and 

WHEREAS:	Oregon voters have affirmed their commitment to these principles and
have made history by electing five openly gay and lesbian legislators to the
state legislature; and 

WHEREAS:	October 1994 was declared the inaugural Lesbian and Gay History
Month, and all citizens will benefit from a better understanding of this
history;

NOW,
THEREFORE, I, John A. Kitzhaber, Governor of the State of Oregon, hereby
proclaim October 1995 to be LESBIAN AND GAY HISTORY MONTH
in Oregon and encourage all our citizens to join in this observance.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I hereunto set my hand and cause the Great Seal of the
State of Oregon to be affixed.  Done at the Capital in the City of Salem in
the State of Oregon on this day, July 11, 1995.

{SEAL}

(signed)
John A. Kitzhaber, Governor

(signed)
Phil Keisling, Secretary of State
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
end

The Governor issued the proclamation at the behest of Flo and Ted Olkoski of
Salem Oregon's Coalition to End Bigotry and Common Cause.  Ron Schlittler  of
Oregon State Senator Pete Sorenson's office helped greatly in preparing the
proclamation.

Gary Smith
Co Chair
Coalition to End Bigotry
PO Box 13144 
Salem OR 97309
503-373-4173