Subject: Charlotte community center study town meeting
From: "Jay Moseley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 14:53:31 -0400 (EDT)

Is Charlotte ready? ....for a Gay & Lesbian Community Center?

	If we are ready, what should a community center look like?
What programs should it offer? If we're not ready, why not? What
needs to happen in our community to make this possible?

	After canvassing various LGBT organizational leaders, a
30-member committee was selected and began meeting on April 7 as the
Charlotte Community Center Study Committee. This project is
facilitated by Grassroots Leadership and sponsored by OutCharlotte.
Grassroots Leadership is a regional resource for community
organizations, and will conduct an independent study of whether or
not the community is ready for and willing to support a Community
Center. The goal is to emerge with a set of recommendations in
January, 2000, regarding the need for, feasibility of and depth of
support for a number of possible community center options.

	Come share your ideas! The first of three town meetings will
be held on Thursday, May 20 from 7:00-8:30pm at the West Boulevard
Branch of the public Library, 2157 West Boulevard. Everyone is
welcome and encouraged to attend. Various task forces will be created
to study issues and concerns, and community members will be welcome
to become more involved in the process by serving on a task force.

	Community Center Study Committee members include (in
alphabetical order): Travis Blackwell, Carlene Campione, G.H.
Dornblazer, Sue DuChanois, Noel Green, Mick Hinson, Kim Honeycutt,
Sidney Horton, David Howard, IeaVee Jordan, Elizabeth Kelly, Don
King, Dan Kirsch, David Lari, Dian Matthews, Charlene McAnulty, Dr.
Deana F. Morrow, Jay Moseley, Bruce Moyer, John Quillin, Carl
Rollins, George Schafer, Tom Warshauer, John Whitesell and Serra
Williams.

	For further information, contact Naomi Swinton through
Grassroots Leadership at: PO Box 36006, Charlotte NC 23236,
704/332-3090 or [email-masked].

-- END --