Subject: This is a recent award winning story about a current NYC Mayoral candidate
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:51:59 EDT

Home | Foundation | Essay Contest | Profile in Courage Award | 
 
The 1998 Profile in Courage Essay Contest & Scholarship Contest Winning Essay
by Hani Sarji
Xavier High School, New York, NY 

    People today blame politicians for many things. People are programmed to 
dislike politicians, yet by doing so they fail to see some of the greatest 
acts of courage because not all politicians are self-serving, which is how 
the stereotype goes. A good example of a courageous politician who was not 
self-serving is Sal Albanese who was New York's City Councilman for fifteen 
years from 1982 until his mayoral race in 1997. During this time, he earned 
the reputation of independence and integrity. He always stood by what he 
believed in despite the number of opponents against him. For example, 
Councilman Albanese supported two laws which put limits on the sale and 
distribution of cigarettes. His opposition was the well financed tobacco 
industry. Even more amazing was his support for Intro 2, a bill to forbid 
discrimination against homosexuals in employment, housing, and public 
accommodations. By supporting this bill, he put his career on the line. 
Albanese had nothing to gain by supporting this bill, but he did so because 
he believed in human rights. Albanese voted for Intro 2 despite vehement 
criticism and opposition. By doing this selfless act, he helped guarantee the 
rights of numerous New York citizens. New York would not be the same today if 
it wasn't for that bill. Albanese was one of the many who helped New York 
become more American. 

     Unlike today, homosexuality was not accepted in New York in 1986. At 
that time, people were discriminated because of their sexual orientation. By 
1986 there was a code in New York which forbade discrimination on the basis 
of race, religion, and sex, but there was none for sexual orientation. Every 
year for fifteen years, prior to 1986, a bill for homosexual rights came up 
before New York's City Council which they rejected. Due to efforts from 
politicians such as Albanese, Intro 2 was passed in 1986. It was the first 
time since 1974 that such a bill was passed. This victory did not come easy 
because the bill was extremely controversial. The politicians who supported 
the bill took a lot of heat.

     Sal Albanese was a thirty-six year old City Councilman in 1986 with two 
young daughters, and he was a regular churchgoer. He showed great political 
courage when he supported the bill because the church was against it, and 
because the sections of New York which he represented were primarily 
conservative. He showed courage is standing for the minority who were 
ridiculed for what they practiced in private. Political courage is when a 
politician makes a choice which is good for the country but which endangers 
his or her political career. It is shown by those who at risk to themselves, 
their futures, even their family, stood fast for a principle. Albanese was 
going to be one of the influential votes on Intro 2, and he was rumored to be 
favoring the bill. This caused many problems for him because people tried to 
influence his decision and make him vote against he bill.

     Councilman Albanese suffered a lot of criticism for his support of the 
bill, but he had nothing to gain from supporting it other than the fact that 
he was helping people get the right they deserve. One day while Albanese was 
in church, an usher bent down and begged him to vote against the bill. The 
people in his parish shunned him and his family, and they circulated leaflets 
vilifying him. His own house was picketed. The picketers were shouting, 
"Death to Albanese," and his family was in danger so he had to send his 
daughters to his relatives. Councilman Albanese even received bomb threats at 
his office. His neighbors did not tell him the customary "good morning," they 
tried to change Albanese's mind, but he stuck firm to his opinion. When the 
time came to make his vote, he voted for the bill.

     Councilman Albanese put his career on the line because he believed in 
human rights. He believed in something, and he did not back down despite 
reports that he would lose votes in conservative Bay Ridge. Albanese helped 
make New York more American by protecting the rights of citizens to choose 
their sexual orientation. It is a shame that Albanese is almost forgotten 
today. People have focused on his loss to Mayor Giuliani rather than on his 
achievements as a councilman. This shows that people today choose to overlook 
the truly remarkable accomplishments of politicians. People do not fully 
understand all the risks and the courage it takes to make a controversial 
decision.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Bibliography

Daley, Suzanne. "Council Panel Approves Homosexual Right Bill." New York 
Times, March 12, 1986. p. B3

Furnick, Joyce. "Homosexual Rights Bill Is Passed by City Council in 21-to-14 
vote." New York Times, March 22, 1996. p. B3

Goldstein, Richard. "Sal Albanese: Rebel with a Cause." Village Voice, April 
8, 1986. p.31.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
John Fitzgerald Kennedy Library - Columbia Point - Boston, Massachusetts 02125
Tel: 1-877-616-4599
Fax: 617-929-4538
Email: [email-masked] 
John Fitzgerald Kennedy Library Foundation - Columbia Point - Boston, 
Massachusetts 02125
Tel: 617-929-1200
Fax: 617-436-3395
Email: [email-masked]

Visit NARA

Page created May 27, 1998 updated: April 29, 2000
© 1998 The John F. Kennedy Libray Foundation

  Home | Foundation | Essay Contest | Profile in Courage Award | Top of Page 
|