Subject: Gay Hotels in NYC
From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 03:41:58 -0400 (edt)

> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 03:36:09 -0400 (edt)
>
> My bf and I are looking to spend a night in Manhatan, however, all of the
> hotels are booked necause of the POPE!
>
> Could you recommend some good clean, safe B&B's or Inn's in MAnhatan we
> could poosible stay at.

Unfortunately, I'm currently out of town so I don't have my referrals handy. 
You might consider some gay-ish places like the Colonial House Inn.  Being
gay, it's unlikely that a fan of the Pope would book a room there.  And it's
right in the heart of Chelsea, the gayest neighborhood in NYC, and only
blocks from Greenwich Village.  I can't recommend it personally as I've
never stayed there but here is an ad I found in my files:

"Colonial House Inn
Bed & Breakfast.  All rooms equipped with phones, color TV <GayCable!> and
A/C.  Private/Shared baths.  Lounge; Roof sundeck.  Some with refrigerators
and fireplaces.  Rooms from $65 (tax included).  Conveniently located --
reservations suggested.  318 West 22nd St, NY, NY  10011.  Tel: 212-243-9669
Fax: 212-633-1612."

An "Inn" in Manhattan, by the way, is actually misleading.  Any "inn" here
will inevitably lack the rustic smalltown charm one normally associates with
the word.  Anything in Manhattan is better described as a hotel.  Still, the
ad seems to describe a place that comes pretty close ...  Fireplaces, no
less!

You might also consider the relatively-new Holiday Inn in Chinatown.  Nice
place that was featured in a NY Times article because of its unusual
location.  Chances are that it won't be overbooked.  And it's within walking
distance to Soho (my neighborbhood!), and a reasonable distance from the
Village.

Call these two places for additional info:

1) The Gay & Lesbian Switchboard: 212-777-1800, voice 10am-12am, daily. 
Computerized touch-tone database, 24 hrs.  Their comprehensive files should
have something for you.

2) The Gay & Lesbian Visitors Center of NY:
135 West 20th St, 3rd Fl, NY, NY  10011  212-463-9030.  These people should
be able to provide you with all the info a gay visitor to NYC would need.

PS - go see "Party"!  Lots of fun ...  Go see the 3D-Laser show at the
Hayden Planetarium.  Pretty amazing.  Or the new Sony 3D Imax thing.  I
haven't seen it yet but people tell me that those virtual reality goggles
are amazing.