Subject: Sex Panic flyer for NYC march to honor Gaither
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:42:11 EST

STOP THE VIOLENCE!
DEMAND JUSTICE, NOT VENGEANCE.

Billy Jack Gaither 1959-1999

We are saddened and angered by the recent murder of Billy Jack Gaither, a 
gay man.  Gaither was brutally killed and then his body set afire in 
Alabama.  We mourn his death.  We march today to protest the violence 
against Gaither and many other gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender 
people. Gaither's accused killers may now face another form of violence - 
the death penalty.  These two kinds of violence present us with a set of 
questions:

Why was Billy Jack Gaither murdered?

In part, because there are many Americans who fear and hate gay people. 
That hatred--homophobia-can lead to physical attack and even murder.

How do we make the killers pay?

By demanding justice.  Many anti-gay attacks are ignored or treated less 
seriously by authorities.  And even our own community can be slow to 
respond to attacks against g/l/b/t people of color and transpeople.  When 
any g/l/b/t person is injured, we must work to ensure that the law gives 
justice.  Having been victims of so much injustice ourselves, we must, even 
when we are attacked, always stand for justice - including a fair trial and 
due process for those accused of killing Billy Jack Gaither.

Is the death penalty the answer?

No.  The death penalty is vengeance, not justice.  We oppose the death 
penalty in all cases, no matter how horrible the crime.  Why?  Capital 
punishment is not a deterrent.  For those wrongfully convicted and 
sentenced to death, executions are irreversible.  The death penalty is used 
unfairly against those who are poor as well as against people of color. 

Similar prejudice has put g/l/b/t people on death row in America and sent 
us to death in other countries.   Many gay organizations now oppose capital 
punishment.  Finally, capital punishment is recognized around the world as 
a serious violation of human rights.

Alabama does have a death penalty law.  Unless we oppose capital 
punishment, our demand for justice in Billy Jack Gaither's killing might 
help send two other men to their deaths.

Would hate crimes laws help?

Hate crime laws are unnecessary and divert us from the real issues of 
justice.  Every state already has laws against murder and assault - anyone 
convicted of violating those laws faces serious punishment.  Current laws 
cover every kind of victim - gay or straight.  Whether inspired by hate or 
not, anyone who causes injury or death can be punished by existing laws. 

The real problem is that the criminal justice system often turns a blind 
eye towards anti-gay attacks.  We must change attitudes. Only when the 
police, prosecutors and politicians - and the American public -- take 
crimes against g/l/b/t people seriously can we expect justice.  Political 
action - like today's march - sends a powerful message to the country about 
anti-gay attacks.  Similar marches after Matthew Shepard's murder in 
Wyoming spurred Americans to finally confront homophobic violence.  If 
"hate crimes" are increasing, we need to put more resources into solving 
them, not more laws.

What should g/l/b/t people do?

Come out!  Organize. Confront anti-gay prejudice. Stop attacks on cruising 
and queer space.   As one example, public schools around the country must 
be pushed to reckon with their gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender 
students, teachers, and parents.  The one million students in New York City 
public schools never learn that g/l/b/t people have always been a part of 
the history, science and literature that they study.  Another struggle is 
the fight to ensure that all g/l/b/t people can come out without fear of 
losing jobs, homes, family and health care.  Our struggle is linked to the 
fight of oppressed people everywhere.

SexPanic!      (212) 252-4925
Meetings every Thursday at the New York City Gay Community Center, 8:00 PM.

>end<