Subject: Leslie-Lohman Art Foundation Lesbian Art Show
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:54:04 -0500

Leslie-Lohman Gay Art Foundation
127-B Prince Street, New York, NY 10012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Sal Monetti
Wayne Snellen
Tel: 212) 673-7007
Fax: (212) 230-0363
Email: [email-masked]
Web site: www.leslie-lohman.org

New York, NY- The LESLIE-LOHMAN GAY ART FOUNDATION announces
the opening of their ninth season with the exhibition, "Parting
The Petals: The 4th Lesbian Biennial."

On the surface the title implies a softness, a femininity, and a
superficiality until you go beneath to reveal the heart of reality.
In the case of these artists that reality often means an under-
standing and acceptance of masculinity and femininity.  These
artists address a whole range of sexuality, some more explicitly
than others but each with their own unique interpretation. One
talks about the isolation and loneliness of being lesbian in a
straight world...chronicling the discontinuity of this loneliness
back to a day when sexuality (especially gay and lesbian) was
practically invisible and rarely spoken of.  Another shows
the intimacy and domesticity of having a relationship lasting
through middle age and beyond but showing it emphasizing the
physical beauty of the lover.

All of these artists are modern day heroes  displaying great
courage and integrity in a society that includes those intent
upon surprising the normal, day to day lives of gay individuals
with violent behavior and extreme hatred.

The nine artists featured are:

Prinny Alavi. Photographer whose images reflect the unique sensibilities
of the lesbian leather scene captured in a photo session with one model.

Con Artist. Sculptor working with clay uniquely combining both male and
female erotic symbolism.

Sally Elliott. Woodcut prints focusing on  portraits and figure studies
accentuating feminine aesthetics.

Jen Fish. Comic strip artist addressing lesbian issues of living in a
straight world mixed with humor and whimsy.

Kathleen Loesch. Painter of traditional portraits done of her  lover in
the intimate settings of their home.

Bonnie Marin. Book artist whose images address both gay and lesbian
eroticism along with sometimes satirical and always insightful comments
on heterosexuality, war and capitalism.

Rosella Mocerino. Painter focusing on  portraits of women in period
costumes united yet isolated.

Sheila Seguin. Painter addressing topics ranging from questions of
spirituality to super heroes.

Robin Strober. Concept artist whose work is based on paint chips
arranged as "found poems."

Title: Parting the Petals: 4th Lesbian Biennial
Dates: September 14 - October 17, 1999
Opening Reception: Tuesday, September 14, 5:30 - 8:00 PM
Panel discussion: October 1, 1999, 7 PM
Gallery Hours: Wednesday - Sunday, 1:00 - 6:00 PM
Location: 127-B Prince St., New York, NY 10012

LLGAF is a not for profit tax exempt Foundation committed to
providing a forum to further the awareness and appreciation of
Lesbian and Gay Art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Provided as a service of GLINN News Distribution available from
the Gay/Lesbian International News Network (www.glinn.com) and
the Gay Media Database (www.gaydata.com).

To be removed from this list, reply with REMOVE in the subject.