Subject: SAGE Awards Nov. 22nd in NY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:39:26 EST

SAGE MAKES AWARDS TO GAY AND LESBIAN PIONEERS NOV. 22

	Stereotypes about gay people and aging will be exploded on the stage of
Merkin Concert Hall on Saturday, November 22nd as SAGE (Senior Action in a Gay
Environment) presents its Third Annual Lifetime Achievement Awards.  Terry
Kaelber, SAGE's executive director, said, "The extraordinary honorees have
made distinguished contributions to lesbian and gay life, including through
the simple and courageous act of living day to day as a gay or lesbian in the
pre-Stonewall era."
	This year's four honorees represent the vitality of lesbian and gay leaders
and artists into their 90's in some cases.  
      Quentin Crisp, 89, author of "The Naked Civil Servant," is still doing
one-man shows, writing books ("Resident Alien"), acting in movies (Queen
Elizabeth in "Orlando") and in plays (Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of
Being Earnest").
      Virginia Apuzzo, one of America's gay pioneers, is a former director of
the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the activist most responsible for
first getting a gay and lesbian rights plank in the Democratic Party's
platform in 1976.  She is now Assistant to President Clinton for Management
and Administration, overseeing all agencies of the Executive Office of the
President.
     Christine Burton, 93, made her mark in the movement at 80 when she
founded the group Golden Threads for older lesbians-at a time when little was
being done to reach out to lesbians over 50.  She is a retired business woman,
teacher, writer, and public speaker.  
     And Dr. James Dumpson, a senior governmental official in administrations
stretching back to Mayor Robert Wagner, is the founder of the Minority Task
Force on AIDS and a past chair of the Black Leadership Commission on AIDS.
In addition to presenting awards, the audience will be entertained by comedian
Reno, star of stage, screen, and "Reno Finds Her Mom;" singer Suede, the
internationally acclaimed pop-jazz vocalist; and Thoss Sipley, a five-time MAC
award winner for "Outstanding Jazz Vocalist."
     Tickets for the evening are $40 to $500 ($25 for seniors).  Merkin
Concert Hall at the Abraham Goodman House is at 129 West 67th Street.  There
will be a reception for major donors at 6:45 PM followed by the Lifetime
Achievement Awards at 7:45 PM.  
     SAGE is an international and culturally diverse social service
organization dedicated to meeting the unique needs of older lesbians and gay
men.

CONTACT:  Martin Wendel at (212) 741-2247
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:21:51 EST
Subject: Correction: SAGE event is SUNDAY, Nov. 22

Dear people:

The day of the SAGE Lifetime Achievement Awards in New York is SUNDAY, Nov. 22
(not Saturday as it said on the release).  Sorry for any mix up.  Call (212)
741-2247 for information and reservations.

Andy Humm

------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:21:51 EST
Subject: Correction: SAGE event is SUNDAY, Nov. 22

Dear people:

The day of the SAGE Lifetime Achievement Awards in New York is SUNDAY, Nov. 22
(not Saturday as it said on the release).  Sorry for any mix up.  Call (212)
741-2247 for information and reservations.

Andy Humm