Subject: Rochester, NY Churches Issue Call for Rally for Truth & Justice
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:51:57 EDT

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: August 26, 1998

Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church Issues Call for Truth and Justice

ROCHESTER, NY -- Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church is extending a call
to people of all faiths to come together on Thursday, September 17, 1998 at
6:30 PM to support those who will be gathering for the commencement of the 5TH
Annual Conference of the National Association of Catholic Diocesan Lesbian and
Gay Ministries.

This  "Call for Truth and Justice" is a peaceful rally which will be held
outside the Sheraton Four Points Hotel at 120 East Main Street in downtown
Rochester, where participants will speak in one voice and pray for vital civil
rights and greater social justice for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
people.   The rally commences 30 minutes before Bishop Matthew H. Clark
welcomes the conference participants.

"This is a particularly important time for us to come together," said Rev. Ron
Helms, pastor of Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church and organizer of the
event. "We want to speak out and let our voices be heard, especially in light
of what has been happening in our own city, at Corpus Christi Church. The
reassignment of Father Jim Callan is a wake-up call to those of us in every
faith community who believe that God's love and grace are available to all
people, that we now need to let our voices be heard. We must let Bishop
Matthew Clark know the full truth about our  commitment to faith.  We cannot
sit back and allow certain  members of the church to dictate who is and is not
worthy to have a relationship with God. There is another viewpoint and we will
be expressing it in support of the conference."

Father Callan is being reassigned to another church because of repeated
violations of Church law. Included are Corpus Christi's ministry to the gay
and lesbian community, the presence of women in active leadership roles, and
the practice of a Communion that is open to people of all faiths. Many of the
church's four thousand members are taking action to oppose the decision of
Bishop Matthew H. Clark to order the reassignment. Additionally, conservative
members of the Roman Catholic community have severely criticized Bishop Clark
for his  support of ministry to gays and lesbians, and have applauded the
reassignment of Father Callan.

"We believe Jesus came to preach a gospel of inclusion and justice, and that
is the example we are trying to follow," said Steve Johnson, Community
Awareness Coordinator for Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church. "Even
though Open Arms MCC is not a Catholic church, we feel the need to stand up in
support of our brothers and sisters who are experiencing the consequences of
working for a more just society. Anyone who supports justice
issues is welcome to join us in support of the conference."

Anyone who is interested in participating in "A Call For Truth And Justice"
or would like more information may call the office of Open Arms Metropolitan
Community Church at (716) 271-8478.

(End)

For More Information, Contact:
Rev Ron Helms, Pastor, or
Steve Johnson, Community Awareness Coordinator
Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church
175 Norris Drive
Rochester, NY 14610

Tel. (716) 271-8478, office and fax
E-mail: OAMCC [email-masked]

ADDENDUM:  Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church is affiliated with the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches. The UFMCC was founded
in 1968 by the Reverend Troy Perry, and claims more than 42,000 members and
adherents in over 300 congregations in 15 countries. This fellowship is the
largest Christian denomination with a primary ministry to gay and lesbian
people. Locally, Open Arms MCC has been in existence for seventeen years with
ministry to the Greater Rochester Community.