Subject: QueerWatch Says NO to Hate Crime Laws
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:51:32 EDT

Contacts:

Bill Dobbs 212-988-1091

Michael Petrelis 415-621-6267

News From QueerWatch

For Immediate Release
October 13, 1998

Justice Demanded in the Death of Matthew Shepard;

QueerWatch Says NO to Revenge -- Denounces Hate Crime Laws

New York, NY-- QueerWatch joins the public outrage over the murder of Matthew 
Shepard, a gay man, in Wyoming.  "As the circumstance of this terrible crime
become more widely known, we urge caution to make sure that justice is done.
Those charged with the murder must have a fair trial," said QueerWatch
spokesperson Bill Dobbs.

QueerWatch opposes so-called hate crime laws that some politicians including
President Clinton support.   Michael Petrelis, QueerWatch spokesperson stated,
"Hate crime legislation is wrong -- it is a quick fix that diverts attention
from the real solution to anti-gay bashings.  Violence is violence and must be
punished -- by using  __existing__  federal and state laws."

Bill Dobbs continued, "For too long police, prosecutors, and the public have
ignored 
attacks on gays and lesbians.  The challenge we face is to ensure that
government extends to gays and lesbians the equal protection of criminal laws
already on the books.  Justice is not easily won."

QueerWatch hopes this tragic episode causes Wyomingites and others across the
country and the political spectrum to help create a world where it is safe to
come out of the closet. Keeping so many people in the closet makes those who
are out vulnerable to vicious attacks.

QueerWatch is a grassroots organization based in New York and San Francisco.
Michael Petrelis and Bill Dobbs are veteran gay and AIDS activists.  Petrelis
helped get justice in the murder of gay sailor Allen Schindler.  Dobbs helped
bring attention to police inaction after the death of Stonewall Veteran Marsha
Johnson.

--30--