Subject: NYC sex club closed
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 00:39:31 -0500

(the following was posted on the gay activists board of AOL. --MP)
<><><>
Subj:  NY Sex Club Closings
Date:  96-11-15 16:09:23 EST
From:  SGendin         

New York Citys zoning law banning XXX establishments is about to go into
effect.  A judge has already ruled the law  constitutional.  If the appeals
court doesnt overturn this decision, city officials will shut these
businesses down.

Just imagine, by the end of December, almost all XXX bookstores, video
stores, and theaters in Chelsea, the Village, and Times Square could be gone.
 Every adult business on Christopher Street will be closed.  Immediately.

Plus, using other laws, the City continues to raid and padlock gay sex clubs.
 More than half the citys clubs have been raided over the last year and a
half.  Just last week, Hes Gotta Have It, one of the most community-based
clubs, was closed.  

These attacks on our sexuality will continue unless the community fights
back.  We must deliver a message to Mayor Giuliani that we want an end to his
morality crusade.

Even if you dont go to XXX stores or sexclubs, this an important issue.  In
an era of increasing conservatism, the gay and lesbian community must be
particularly watchful of government encroachment on our civil rights.  We
must protect our right to associate in sexclubs and our right to have easy
access to the materials we wish to view.  Our freedom as a community is a
precarious one.  Help protect it.  
Remember the Stonewall Riots: We must always fight for the right to keep gay
spaces open.  

EMERGENCY MEETING
Thursday, November 21,   8:30 p.m.
Gay and Lesbian Community Center
208 W. 13th Street

For further information:  212-966-1091 or 212-229-9102