Subject: NH Station censors AIDS cure Campaign ads
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:18:08 -0500

Steve Michael Presidential Campaign Committee
call  603.641.9592
WMUR axes campaign ads --- manipulates election
Violates FCC rules
AIDS activists demand TV spots that feature men kissing... run on prime time-
tonite!

Manchester, NH - Television commercials produced by HIV positive Democratic
presidential candidate Steve Michael have been censored by Manchester's ABC
affiliate WMUR.  Michael's AIDS Cure Campaign purchased airtime for two new
commercials, "Kissing Doesn't Kill" and "The Point is Saving Lives."  The
station refused to show the commercials at the times reserved, including
'Hardcopy' and a Sunday morning religion show, claiming the ads were too
controversial.  The two sixty second spots have been airing between the hours
of 1AM-4AM.  
 Under FCC regulations, broadcast outlets cannot censor the commercials of
candidates for federal office.  The federal laws were designed to prevent a
dominant broadcast outlet from manipulating the outcome of a federal
election.
 "Kissing Doesn't Kill" features two Gay men kissing with a voice over
explaining the importance of using latex condoms and water-based lubricants
during anal and vaginal intercourse.  
 "The Point is Saving Lives" provides a demonstration by New Hampshire AIDS
activist Dan Sundquist on how to clean syringes with bleach to prevent HIV
transmission.
 "These ads provide important life-saving information." states Michael.  "It
is outrageous that WMUR's program department is manipulating the public
airwaves and interfering in a federal election.  Julie Campasano, program
director for WMUR accepted the ads, took our money, and accepted our
schedule." 
 Lawyers with the Civil Liberties Union, working on behalf of the Michael
campaign, are contacting the management of WMUR to resolve the matter.
 "We intend to bring the full weight of the Federal Communications Commission
down on WMUR if there is no resolution by the end of the day." vows Michael
 Anti-abortion activists have run congressional campaigns in Indiana and
California airing graphic TV ads featuring aborted fetuses that could not be
censored.
 "Channel 9 airs ads for heterosexual 1-900 sex lines, the Hardcopy episode
ran footage of a naked actor.  Yet they censor responsible safe sex and clean
needle information." ads Michael.
 Michael's campaign manager and lover Wayne Turner comments, "Our ad buys are
strategic and targeted.  It is not up to the program director at a TV station
to decide where and when commercials can run for a Presidential candidate.
 WMUR is in big trouble."  
 Adds Dan Sundquist, "We lost an opportunity to air valuable, life-saving
information during a day-time talk show that focused on expectant women
participating in risky behavior during their pregnancy, affecting not only
the mother, but their unborn children.
Steve Michael Presidential Campaign Committee
Saving Lives!  Making AIDS a Primary Issue!
603.641.9592

TEXT OF "KISSING DOESN'T KILL"
STEVE MICHAEL PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE
CENSORED BY WMUR TV

"WHAT SHOULD BE DONE IS NOT COMPLICATED. -- BUT IT REQUIRES LEADERSHIP, A
PLAN, AND THE NATIONAL RESOLVE TO IMPLEMENT IT."  THOSE WORDS FROM THE 1993
NATIONAL COMMISSION ON AIDS SAY IT ALL!  IN 1992, BILL CLINTON LOOKED ME IN
THE EYE AND PROMISED THAT HE WOULD DECLARE AN ALL-OUT WAR AGAINST AIDS;
INSTITUTE A MANHATTAN PROJECT TO CURE AIDS, FULLY IMPLEMENT THE 1991
COMMISSION REPORT AS WELL AS PROVIDE PRESIDENTIAL LEADERSHIP TO PREVENT THE
FURTHER SPREAD OF THE DISEASE.
 YET, 3 YEARS LATER THOSE  REPORTS ARE STILL GATHERING DUST AND WE HAVE YET
TO HEAR A PREVENTION AD THAT SAYS: KISSING DOESN'T KILL. 
 PROTECT YOURSELF FROM HIV---ALWAYS USE A LATEX CONDOM WITH WATER-BASED
LUBRICANT EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU HAVE ANAL OR VAGINAL SEX.
 WHEN WILL WE LEARN? --- WHEN WILL THIS NATION FINALLY --- ACT UP --- FIGHT
BACK  AND FIGHT AIDS 

Paid for by the Steve Michael Presidential Campaign Committee, Wayne Turner,
Chair.

TEXT OF "THE POINT IS SAVING LIVES"
STEVE MICHAEL PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE
CENSORED BY WMUR TV

"... LIVING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE WHO COULDN'T GET CLEAN NEEDLES LEGALLY BECAUSE
OF A STEVE MERRILL VETO.

 THE STEVE MICHAEL FOR PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN PROVIDES THIS QUICK INSTRUCTION ON
CLEANING NEEDLES WITH BLEACH; WHICH IS THE NEXT SAFEST WAY TO PREVENT THE
RISK OF HIV INFECTION IF YOU HAVE TO SHOOT DRUGS.

 DRAW UP SOME WATER INTO THE BARREL WITH A LITTLE BIT OF AIR. AGITATE IT
AROUND FOR 30 SECONDS OR MORE AND SHOOT IT ONTO THE GROUND OR INTO ANOTHER
CONTAINER, BUT NOT INTO THE CLEAN WATER.

DRAW UP A BARREL FULL OF BLEACH, A LITTLE AIR, AND DO THE SAME THING.

DRAW UP ANOTHER BARREL OF WATER TO FLUSH IT OUT AND YOU'RE DONE.

THIS PROCEDURE ONLY TAKES ABOUT 2 MINUTES AND COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE.

DON'T SHOOT DRUGS IF YOU CAN HELP IT.

IF YOU CAN'T... PLEASE PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS BY USING CLEAN EQUIPMENT
OR BLEACH.

Paid for by the Steve Michael Presidential Campaign Committee, Wayne Turner,
Chair.