From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Mon, 27 Mar 1995 20:23:58
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IT'S TIME AGAIN MINNESOTA

TO:  Friends-on-the-Net
FROM:  Chernah Coblentz

IT'S TIME AGAIN MINNESOTA UPDATES
(General info about the campaign, work groups, and meeting schedule are
later in this message.)

   Now more than ever, we need to pay attention to the Minnesota legis-
lature. Most of the legislation that would affect GLBT people is likely
to come up in the second half of the legislative session, as the pres-
sure mounts to finalize bills and get them passed. Note that party
affiliation is NOT necessarily an indicator of whether or not a legis-
lator is supportive of our issues.

   An amendment that would eliminate public assistance funding for
gender reassignment surgery was attached to the House version of the
Welfare Reform Bill, but was not attached to the Senate version. A
conference committee from both houses will meet during the week of
4/3/95 to reach a compromise on the bill. Members of the committee are:
Senate-Don Samuelson (author of the amendment,DFL 12), Paula Hanson
(DFL 50), Pat Piper (DFL 37), Don Betzold (DFL 48), Martha Robertson
(IR 45); House-Bob Anderson (DFL 10A), Loren Jennings (DFL 18B), Tom
Van Engen (IR 15A), Barb Vickerman (IR 23A), Becky Lourey (DFL 8B).

   The Catholic Defense League has started a campaign to shut down GLBT-
positive/AIDS-prevention programs in schools. Rep. Matt Entenza (DFL
64A) is very supportive of retaining these programs. He needs to receive
letters and calls from constituents encouraging his continued support.

TO CONTACT LEGISLATORS:  Write:
House:   Rep.____________, State Office Building, St. Paul, MN 55155.
Senate:  IR-Sen.____________, State Office Building, St. Paul, MN 55155.
         DFL-Sen.___________, State Capitol, St. Paul, MN 55155
Or call:   House Info 612-296-2146        Senate Info 612-296-0504

   A special election coming up in the House of Representatives has
important implications for all of us. Luann Koskinen (DFL) is running
for the seat recently vacated by Rep. Joel Jacobs (DFL 49B). Rep. Karen
Clark has found her to be supportive of our issues, and encourages us
to help with her campaign. Even if you do not live in district 49B
(Coon Rapids area), the campaign could use help doorknocking and phone
banking. For more information, contact Betsy at 612-323-6775.

   IT'S TIME AGAIN MINNESOTA is an organizing effort by the gay/lesbian
bisexual/trangender communities to address anti-GLBT actions in this
legislative session, such as attempts to get GLBT-positive resources
removed from schools, to prohibit marriage and adoption by same-sex
couples, and other concerns. The campaign monitors the legislature and
organizes lobbying as needed, and develops materials to educate people
about GLBT issues.

   Contact IT'S TIME AGAIN MINNESOTA to receive updates and info about
how you can help. Either contact the Gay & Lesbian Community Action
Council (GLCAC) at 310 E. 38th St., Ste. 204, Minneapolis, MN 55409,
612-822-0127/1-800-800-0350/FAX612-822-8786/Email: [email-masked]
or send a private Email to Chernah at [email-masked]. NOTE: "Private
Email" is NOT 100% guaranteed private. If this is a concern, call or
write GLCAC instead. Provide your name, address, ph#, fax and/or Email
address. It would also be helpful if you'd let us know your state legis-
lative district, and any contacts you have that could provide opportu-
nities for networking in your area (e.g., you belong to the same volley-
ball team/bridge club/religious congregation as your senator/rep).
Please let us know of any BBS' in Greater Minnesota (we've got the
metro area and Internet pretty well covered0 where we can post infor-
mation such as this - either GLBT BBS', or progressive BBS where we have
a chance of posting info without censure by the sys-op.

              IT'S TIME AGAIN MINNESOTA MEETINGS/WORK GROUPS
NOTES: Work groups for which no meeting is listed are working by phone
and/or will meet at the general meeting on 4/19/95. Sabathani Community
Center is located at 310 E. 38th St., Mpls. Contact info for people at
GLCAC is in the paragraph above.

   GENERAL MEETING - Wed. 4/19/95, 7pm, Sabathani. Plan next steps and
strategies; work group meeting time and updates. Contact: GLCAC.

   EDUCATION & YOUTH - Mon. 4/3/95 6pm, Sabathani. This group watches
for moves to restrict state funding to school districts with GLBT-
positive curricula, and organizes lobbying as needed. Contact: Tina
Garrett, District 202, 612-871-5559/FAX612-871-1445.

   FAMILY ISSUES - Mon. 4/3/95 6:45pm, Sabathani. This group is devel-
oping materials to aid in the discussion and positioning of the follow-
issues: domestic partner benefits, same-sex marriage, adoption laws.
Contact: Marjorie Cowmeadow, U of MN, 612-625-7528/FAX612-625-7848.

   CIVIL RIGHTS - has prepared briefing papers explaining the 1993
amendment to the MN Human Rights Act, to be used for educating and
lobbying. Currently working with the Family Issues committee on same-
sex marriage. Contact: Joni Thome, GLCAC.

   LEADERSHIP BREAKFAST - Sat. 4/8/95 10am-Noon, Baker's Square,
917 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Monthly roundtables to discuss GLBT issues.
The co-chairs of the GLBT Workplace Alliance will speak at this meeting.
Contact: Wally Swan, 612-659-6386/FAX612-338-6597/Email:
swanx [email-masked]

   RURAL ORGANIZING - Sat. 4/29/95, Duluth. Coordinates political
activity in Greater Minnesota. Contact: Laura Stolle, Aurora: A North-
land Lesbian Center, 32 E. First St., Ste. 104, Duluth, MN 55802,
218-722-4903.

   GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY FUNDING - works on issues related to
retaining existing Medical Assistance and General Assistance funds for
surgery, and other issues of concern to transgender people. Contact:
Ann DeGroot, GLCAC.

   FUNDRAISING - Raises money for upcoming ITA efforts. Contributions,
volunteers, and people willing to host house parties continue to be
needed. Contact: John Norman, GLCAC.

------ Forwarded message ends here ------

                           _________________
                          | \-------------/ |
                          |  \           /  |
                         Til Justice is Done...
                         _|_   \      /    _|_
                        [___]   \    /    [___]
                                 \  /
                            ______\/______
                           {______________}