Subject: Action alert: Schindler/Helvey Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:24:33 -0400

July 19, 1996

Dear friends:
The clemency hearing at the Ft. Leavenworth disciplinary barracks in Kansas
for Terry Helvey, the man convicted of murdering openly gay US sailor Allen
Schindler, was held on July 16. The proceeding was closed to the public and
the Victim Liaison told me she doesn't know what recommendation was made was
to the commandant regarding possibly reducing Helvey's life sentence.

The matter now goes before a naval clemency board in Arlington, Virginia, and
it is not known exactly when this board will consider whatever recommendation
was presented at Ft. Leavenworth. Schindler's mother, Dorothy Hajdys-Holman,
thinks the next hearing  might take place in 3-6 weeks.

Letters of concern should now be sent to:

  Naval Clemency and Parole Board
  801 N. Randolph Street, Suite # 1130
  Arlington, VA  22203

You can also call this board and express your thoughts about keeping Helvey
in prison. The phone number is 1-703-696-9560.

Since the Navy has a history of "losing" documents related to the Schindler
murder, I am asking everyone who sent a letter to Ft. Leavenworth to send a
copy to the gay advocacy group, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network. If you
write a new letter to the clemency board in Arlington, please make sure a
copy is passed along to SLDN.  The address for SLDN is P.O. Box 53013,
Washington, DC 20009.

I wish to also praise the SLDN for keeping tabs on every step of Helvey's bid
for clemency and for consistently knowing who in the Navy should be receiving
letters and phone calls. Frankly, without SLDN, I don't think we'd even know
about these clemency hearings, so when you send carbon copies of your letters
to SLDN, also let them know you appreciate the work they've done on behalf of
Schindler and his mother.
Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis